3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2014 9:45 PM by symbister

How to get data to automatically enter in multiple tables

RebekahFrank

Title

How to get data to automatically enter in multiple tables

Hello. I'm new at this and am having a hard time finding answers in the forum because I'm not using the right phrases to ask the question.

I would like to have the system set up so that when I start a new record, the email, first name and last name fields are automatically filled in across five tables. I tried setting up a relationship based on the main table (Contact Record) that is based on the email, but that didn't work. I tried setting up a value list but that didn't seem to work either. I tried setting up the Look Up but that didn't work either. Can someone direct me in the right direction?

Thanks. Rebekah

• 1. Re: How to get data to automatically enter in multiple tables
          RebekahFrank

I thought setting up a relationship would make the fields automatically linked. I have the email field in the main table (Contact Record) related to each of the other four tables email field. I tried to set up a portal, but that didn't work either. When I create a new contact record, I want the email field, first name field, and last name field to automatically fill in on all four tables. I'm sure there is an obvious solution. Any ideas?

• 2. Re: How to get data to automatically enter in multiple tables
            SteveMartino

It seems that this is the wrong approach.  Why do you want the same data into 5 tables?  Without knowing what this database is suppose to do, a better approach may be to put a primary ID key field in the contact table.  Then relate the the primary ID key field in the contact table to a foreign ID key field in each of the other tables.  Then you wont need duplicate fields in the other tables.

On the Contacts layout you could then put portals to each of the other tables based on these relationships, with a button utilizing a Go To Related Records script step that would take you to a layout in the appropriate layout where the related information resides.

Take a look at a Starter Solution to see how this is set up.  Maybe the once called Tasks or even the Invoice one may give you some pointers.

• 3. Re: How to get data to automatically enter in multiple tables
              symbister

as Steve suggests, keep all your 'regular' data relating to a contact in one table - name, email, address, age, gender whatever - with an auto-enter serial number as ID, and your sub-tables will relate back to that using the ID number as key

then you will have to consider whether, for example, a 'book' will ever relate to more than one contact (many-to-many) or only to one contact (one-to-many). this will affect the nature of the relationship, again Steve's suggestion of a Starter Solution is sensible