Title

How to get find to pull up by line

I have a file that includes entries in fields in columns for:

Course #

Semester

Year

Faculty

Student Name

There are multiple rows.    I want to be able to do a find for, for instance, Course # Spring 2014.  Right now it will pull that information from all rows, so I might be also getting that Course # for Spring 2013 if there was also a line with the year 2014 on that record.

How can I get it to pull across columns only, and not rows?

Thank you-

Carol

Screen_Shot_2014-05-05_at_10.59.41_AM.png

• 1. Re: How to get find to pull up by line
          philmodjunk

I can't tell for sure from the image provided, but it looks like your "rows" of data are from multiple fields in the same records when you should instead have a set of multiple records such that each row represents a different record.

• 2. Re: How to get find to pull up by line
            CarolRiazzi

Thank you - excuse the novice, but can you tell me how I would do that?  I need to be able to sort or find on any of the column headings or any combination.

• 3. Re: How to get find to pull up by line
              philmodjunk

You'll need to learn more about how to design FileMaker layouts and the tables of records on which they are based. I can provide a few hints, but this is no substitute for spending time with some training resources learning more about how this system works.

Go to Manage | Database | Fields and delete all the field definitions except for the fields used for the first row of fields shown in your screen shot.

Then either use table view or list view to view your data. To add a new row of data, select New Record from the records menu or click a button set up to perform the same task.

If you want to use list view (the better option in my opinion), you'll need to enter layout mode and edit this layout to reduce the height of the body layout part to just barely the height of your single row of fields.