4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 10:50 AM by ThomasM_1

How to get list of records from repeating field?

ThomasM_1

Title

How to get list of records from repeating field?

I have a table X containing
           - RepeatingFieldA[10]
           - RepeatingFieldB[10]
           - RepeatingFormulaC[10]

C is calculating the difference between A and B for each repetition.

In a related table Y I have another 
           - RepeatingFormulaD[10] 

Part of D's calculation is to get a list of C across records per repetition e.g. I want to know all related values of C[2] or C[4]. It seems that this is not possible. The list function always returns all values of C across records. Is there any trick on how to do this?

• 1. Re: How to get list of records from repeating field?
          philmodjunk

The trick is to use individual records with non-repeating fields in place of the repeating fields. You can't match a single repetition to single records in a related table. Using a repeating field as a match field produces the same result as using a list of return separated values. The records match to any one of the repetitions.

• 2. Re: How to get list of records from repeating field?
            ThomasM_1

Thanks Phil for your quick response. I am not using these fields in the relationship. This is done with serial numbers. And each table (X, Y) contains many more fields than the one described. Put differently: Is there a way to list all records values of a specific repetition in a calculation done in a related table. 

• 3. Re: How to get list of records from repeating field?
              philmodjunk

Pull the data into a separate field such as this calcluation field:

GetRepetition ( RepeatingField ; 2 )

or just use the newer syntax:

RepeatingField [ 2 ]

Then you can use List to get a list of this non-repeating field that has extracted the data from the needed repetition.

PS. Repeating fields were basically an obsolete design option once FileMaker changed from "flat file" to "relational" with the release of FileMaker 3.0. While there still are a few specialized uses for repeating fields, they are few and far between--getting fewer with each new release of FileMaker.

• 4. Re: How to get list of records from repeating field?
                ThomasM_1

I cannot get it working. The calculation field RepeatingField [ 2 ] in table Y does not return any values. 

Nevermind, I am switching back to non-repeating fields. I tried repeating ones just to clean up some tables.