1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

How to get tables to talk to Parent table using PK?

BuddyMyers

Title

How to get tables to talk to Parent table using PK?

I created a new database to keep track of my client’s computer hardware and other related things. I have already created the ERD and set up all the relationships.  I have a main table that is called Company and then have a support Contact Info table linked to Company.   I linked the name support contact Information back to company table and using the name of table as my PK and have done the same thru the rest of my database.  The question that I have what would be the best way to set up serial numbers for each relationship so that all the information in all tables or relationships could be accessed from the company table?   I will also post a screen shot to clear up what I am actually trying to do.   Any help would be greatly appreciated I am new to the FileMaker World!!!!!

Regards,

Buddy

ERD4.PNG

• 1. Re: How to get tables to talk to Parent table using PK?
          philmodjunk

Define a serial number field, CompanyID in Company. Link the tables, SupportContactInfo..., ServerDetails, ServerApplications, and WorkstationDetails to Company by defining a matching CompanyID field in them as simple number fields.

This gives you a single Primary Key in Company to link to the ForeignKey in each of these tables. To link a record in them to the correct company record, you can either use a value list format on the foreign key field that enters a user selected company ID number (column 2 in this value list can list company names) or You can use a portal to the child table on a Company layout with "allow creation of records via this relationship" enabled for the child table in the above relationship graph.