3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 3:09 AM by apw

How to get the contents of a repetition in a repeating variable

apw

Title

How to get the contents of a repetition in a repeating variable

I am using a repeating variable with text contents.

Whenever I click a particular repetition of the variable, a script is executed which as its input needs the contents of the repetition that has been clicked.

I thought to have achieved this by adding to the script as parameter;

GetRepetition(repeating variable; Get(ActiveRepetitionNumber))

But it doesn't work.

At my earlier attempts the whole contents, i.e. all the repeated fields, of the variable were returned in stead of just the one I clicked on.

Anyone with a bright idea? 

• 1. Re: How to get the contents of a repetition in a repeating variable
          rjlevesque

Just to iterate: so you need to grab the contents of a particular field to the clipboard by clicking it?

• 2. Re: How to get the contents of a repetition in a repeating variable
            raybaudi

"I thought to have achieved this by adding to the script as parameter;
            GetRepetition(repeating variable; Get(ActiveRepetitionNumber))"

That couldn't work because there is no active repetition when you push a button.

Try instead to hard-code the repetition number as the script parameter and get its content by:

Repeating[ Get ( scriptParameter ) ]

• 3. Re: How to get the contents of a repetition in a repeating variable
              apw

Yes, I need the contents of the field/repetition in the repeating variable I clicked.

Raybaudi is right, when he states that there is no active repetition when the button is placed on the repeating variable.

I suspected that and I came up with a second-best solution:

I detached the button from the repeating variable and created a separate button. Now I first activate the particular repetition in the repeating variable, then click the button which executes the script with the parameter GetRepetition(repeating variable; Get(Active RepetitionNumber)) and it works. However, the drawback is that I have to click twice, which is one time too much.

I tried your solution, although I don't understand 'hard-code', and it returns "?" in stead of the contents; I don't see how it could have worked.

Anyway, thanks for your reaction.