2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 3:25 PM by jdevans

How to have a log-in dependent layout?

jdevans

Title

How to have a log-in dependent layout?

I am trying to create a system to track employee training.

I have an employee table (employeeID_pk)

I have a training item table (trainingItemID_pk)

I have a training occurrence table (trainingOccID_pk, trainingItemID_fk, employeeID_fk)

The training occurrence table is a "line-item" table basically. 

What I'd like to do is, upon opening the database, the user logs in with username/pw. After logging in, if they open the "Training Occurrence" layout, which enables them to add a new training item, or update an existing record, I only want to display THEIR records. The Training Occurrence Table is gathering data from all employees, but I only want to show a particular employees' records to them, A) for privacy, and B) to prevent tampering.

Anyone ever done anything like this.> BTW, I could use this same methodology (if it can be done) on a timesheet layout.

I just can't seem to formulate an idea on how to solve this one. Thanks in advanced...

a NOVICE FileMaker

• 1. Re: How to have a log-in dependent layout?
          philmodjunk

Generally, the best method is called record level access control where the very account they use to open the database file controls which records they can view and/or edit. See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

Note that when you perform a find, records for which the current user does not have access permission to view are automatically omitted from the resulting found set.

• 2. Re: How to have a log-in dependent layout?
            jdevans

fascinating! Can't wait to see if I can implement this. I appreciate your quick and informative reply.

:)