AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to have only one instance of a First Name and one instance of Last Name in a Db?

Question asked by MarioMarceau on Aug 10, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

How to have only one instance of a First Name and one instance of Last Name in a Db?

Hello,

First, is the following a good idea and if so, how do I go about it?

Take the word spelled "John". Any number of people can share that first name. Same goes for last names.

What I'd like to do is have a list of first names, a list of last names, both with primary keys, a data entry popup that would fetch the first name and last name and when I have the information, the PKs for the first and last names would be used to create a "person".

Say, one first name table with pk 1, FName "John", another table with LName pk 1, "Doe" and so on. The data entry popup would either write to those lists if FName and/or LName do not exist of fetch it from a drop down if they do. The person would then be created using the PKs for the Fname and LName.

This is to avoid having several entries with the same first name and the same last name for different people (ex: John Doe, Jane Doe) in my database. In other words, one instance of "Doe" could be used to create several people with different first names.

How do I go about doing this? In my head it seems easy but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to create such relationship. I'm stumped!

Thank you kindly for any help,

Mario

Outcomes