4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 3:32 PM by philmodjunk

How to hide formatting bar in new floating window???

jdevans

Title

How to hide formatting bar in new floating window???

I have a button that triggers a script. The script shows a floating window containing a portal of related records. I want to hide all toolbars and menu bars in this floating window. Most of this is happening, but if I have the formatting bar showing on the source layout, the floating window also displays one, even though the floating window is using a different layout.

The Show/Hide Toolbars[Hide], and Show/Hide Menubar[Hide] isn't getting it done.

Does anyone know how to hide the formatting bar in a script?

floatingwindow.png

• 1. Re: How to hide formatting bar in new floating window???
          philmodjunk

That's a frustrating one. How are you using the formatting tool bar in the original window? Perhaps you can do without it by adding buttons to your layout that perform the same function as what you are doing with the formatting tool bar on the original layout.

• 2. Re: How to hide formatting bar in new floating window???
            jdevans

I just turned it on, so I'd have it as a developer, but I had no idea that New Window would mimic that behavior, until now. I suppose I'll just show it when I need it, and hide it when I'm done.

That is a confusing aspect of FileMaker...I would think the default behavior is to have those sorts of things off, and if you want to show them to the user, it should have to be specified. When I showed this layout to another user, using the hosted file from the server, his layout opened with the status bar on as well. It seems to just remember the last setting that was used the last time it was open.

• 3. Re: How to hide formatting bar in new floating window???
              jdevans

I reported it as an "Issue" here on this site. I got the answer:

"Allow Formatting Bar" script step.

Why didn't they call it as "Show/Hide Formatting Bar", so that it would appear in the same place when sorted by name?  It is functionally the same type of step as the other two Show/Hide steps. This just makes it harder to find.

BTW, I tried using it, and it works.

• 4. Re: How to hide formatting bar in new floating window???
                philmodjunk

I had a nagging echo in the back of my mind that there was such a step, but I didn't see it when I went looking for it. I haven't had to make regular use of it as I prefer to keep the entire task and formatting bar hidden away from the general user.