10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 7:48 AM by TSGal

How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?

Coupe

Title

How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?

For example, I set a table with 5 columns as below.

SW Name, SW Version, Status, Beta version date, Program (with container)

I set a specific privileges for sales. And I hope sales only could see SW Name, SW Version, Status,  Program columns when they log in via browser.

How can I do?

PS.

I use the Instant Web Publishing function to publish the table.

• 1. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
          kapitaen_1

you can rect on active user account by using the get (..) functions. and depending on this, simply go to a second layout that has the desired fields.

greetings from germany

chris 

• 2. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
            Coupe

Sorry to reply so late.

Thank you for your suggestion.

According to your suggestion, I could switch to second layout successfully.

But there is still one more question.

I make two layouts which based on same data tables.

Layout 1 could see all of the data of the table.

Layout 2 only could see some data of the table.

When user reviews data with layout 2, the field whcih is not allowed will be shown as "No Access".

Do you know how to hide the "No Access" fields of records?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
              TSGal

Coupe:

Thank you for your post.

If a user's account doesn't have privileges to view a field, any reference to that field on a layout will display "No Access".  Therefore, you may want to create a layout that doesn't include those fields for specific account privileges.  Therefore, you may want to create a third layout that limits the accessible fields.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
                Coupe

TSGal:

Thank you for your reply.

(1) Do you mean that I have to create another table for the different privileges?

In the current situation, I have a table which includes all of the data of the "Done" and "Beta version" status.

If I would like to let users see all of the data of "Done" status, I have to create another table which includes all of the "Done" data.

Right?

==================================================

Besids above question, I have another two questions.

If you could help to give me some hint, I 'll be appreciated.

(2) How to make the text with another color and different font style?

I hope when the status is "Done", the text color will be blue and text style will be Bold.

Below is the script I implement.

Case ( Status= "Done"; TextColor("Done";RGB(0;51;255)))

Could yopu help to let me know how to do?

(3)

When user select the "Done" status, I hope the field will become to red and text will become blue and Bold style.

Therefor, I use the conditional formatting function to make it.

But it only works on FM client, it doesn't work on IWP.

How could I do if I hope the same function could be displayed in IWP? 

• 5. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
                  TSGal

Coupe:

1. No, you do not have to create another table.  You only need to duplicate the existing layout, and remove the fields that display "No Access".  Then, have the users with limited privileges view this duplicate layout rather than the original layout.  This way, you can find the records with the "Done" status and switch to this layout.

2. Conditional formatting allows you to change the font, color, style, etc. when a condition is met.  In "Layout Mode", click once on the Status field, pull down the Format menu and select "Conditional".  In the dialog box, click the Add button, and set the Condition to:

< Value is >   < equal to >   Done

Under format, put a check mark next to "Bold", put a check mark next to "Text Color"; click on the fill color and change it to Blue.  If you want to change the font, click "More Formatting..." at the bottom and set the font.  Click OK, and the formatting will be set.  All entries in Status will display in the default color unless Status = "Done", where the field now displays "Done" in Blue with a Bold style.

3. Conditional Formatting is not supported in Instant Web Publishing.  If you want to display the bold style and blue color, put the formula into the Field options under Auto-Enter calculation.  That is, pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database..."   Click the Fields tab (if not already selected), and make sure you are looking at the table with the appropriate fields (upper left pop-up next to "Table: " ).  Select the "Status" field and click the "Options..." button.  Click the "Auto-enter" tab (if not already selected) and check the option "Calculated value".  In the formula box, enter:

If ( Status = "Done" ; TextColor ( TextStyleAdd ( Status ; Bold ) ; RGB ( 0 ; 51 ; 255 ) ) ; TextColorRemove ( TextStyleRemove ( Status ; Bold ) ) )

Click OK.

Now, be sure to uncheck the option "Do not replace existing value (if any) ".

This will not change existing values in the fields.  You need to find all the "Done" records, pull down the Records menu and select "Replace Field Contents..."  Leave the default value of Replace with "Done" and click "Replace".  Your "Done" fields will now display as bold blue.

This now works with Instant Web Publishing.

If you run into any difficulty with the above steps, or if you need clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

Click OK a couple of times to return back to Browse Mode (or Layout Mode).  Go to Browse mode. 

If (Status = "Done" ; TextColor ( TextStyleAdd ( Status ; Bold ) ; RGB ( 0 ; 51 ; 255 ) ) ; TextColorRemove ( TextStyleRemove ( Status ; Bold) ) ) 

• 6. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
                    Coupe

Dear TSGal,

I'm sorry. Some of the issues are not described very clear and let you have some misunderstanding.

Let me explain more clear.

Issue1:

For example, there are three records which have "Done", "Beta version" and "Cancel" status seperately in one table.

When user logs in with limited privileges, only the record of "Done" status could be seen.

All of the fields of the other two records  ("Beta version" and "Cancel") will show "No Access" message.

How can I hide the two records with "No Access" message no matter user logs in by FileMaker Client or by IWP?

Issue2:

How to fill red color in the status field when the "Done" status is selected in IWP?

Issue3:

It works.

Thank you very much.

BR,

Coupe

• 7. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
                      TSGal

Coupe:

Thank you for the clarification.

Issue1:

You can have a startup script that finds only those records with Status="Done".  This will give you a found set of records that users can scroll.  However, if they invoke a Show All Records, then they will see the "No Access" message for the other records.  If you have FileMaker Pro Advanced, you can create a Custom Menu so that Find is not available.  By placing buttons on the layout, you can then control the users what records to view, and this would work with both FileMaker client and Instant Web Publishing.

Issue2:

There is no function to fill a field with a color.  However, you can work around this by placing another field behind the Status field that displays red when Status="Done".  Perform the following steps:

1. Create a Container field, "CONTAINER", and set the Storage options to Global.

2. In Layout Mode, click "CONTAINER", pull down the Format menu and select "Graphic..."

3. Set it to <Enlarge> image to fit frame.

4. Create a rectangle and apply a red fill pattern.

5. Copy the contents of the rectangle to the clipboard.

6. Go to Browse Mode and paste the clipboard into CONTAINER. 

7. Create a calculation field, "RED", with the formula:   If (Status = "Done ; CONTAINER ; "" )

Set the calculation result to type Container.

8. In Layout Mode, pull down the View menu and select "Object Info"

9. Click on the Status field and write down the measurements.

10. Click on the RED field, and enter the same measurements.

11. Pull down the Arrange menu and select "Send to Back".

Go to Browse mode.  You will now see a red fill when Status = "Done".  This also works in Instant Web Publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
                        Coupe

Hi, TSGal

Issue 1 is done. Thank you a lot.

I had tried many times for issue2, but I still couldn't find the solution to fill a field with color in Table View of IWP.

Could you give some comments?

One more question, could the "Status area" of IWP be moved to the top area of the browser window?

Thank you.

BR,

Coupe

• 9. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
                          TSGal

Coupe:

Sorry for the confusion.  You cannot display a conditional fill in Table View.  Instead, create a List view that looks like Table View.  Then, you can apply the instructions from my previous post.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: How to hide the unneccessary column which based on different privileges (With IWP function)?
                            TSGal

Coupe:

You cannot move the Status area in Instant Web Publishing from the left side to the top.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.