2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 11:36 AM by sksmith2517

How to I automate desired layout via field value?

sksmith2517

Title

How to I automate desired layout via field value?

I have two similar layouts for bio's of workers. I want to print Layout 1 if info is confidential; print layout 2 if general. 

There is a field determining if confidential or general. 

So how do I automate to print the correct layout whenever I want to print the record?

Thanks for any help - it is definitely appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to I automate desired layout via field value?
          philmodjunk

Use a script for printing that works something like this:

If [YourTable::Status = "confidential"]
             Go To Layout [//select the layout for confidential records here]
          Else
             Go To Layout [//Select the layout for General records here]
          ENd If
          Print 

Note that this only works for printing a single record at a time by using the current record print option. If you are printing a group of records where some are confidential and some are not, you'll need to put this in a loop where you select the layout and print with the current record option one record at a time.

Depending on what the differences between the two layouts are, you might be able to use conditional formatting or other visibility tricks to hide the confidential data when the status is confidential and thus be able to use one layout for both types of records.

• 2. Re: How to I automate desired layout via field value?
            sksmith2517

Fantastic - Conditional formatting - how simply elegant.  Only one layout needed - cleaner - always accurate - very nifty.  Thank you once again.  You are so helpful and going the extra step by adding that last paragraph was what I needed to learn.  Thanks again.