2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 12:55 PM by TSGal

How to import excel data into repeating fields of a single FP9 Pro record.

RRNathan

Title

How to import excel data into repeating fields of a single FP9 Pro record.

I like to create a recipe data base of meal items. Data is in Excel spreadsheets. For example, Recipe-1 has several components and each component will be added at different amounts. The components will be listed in repeating fields (about 50 per recipe) with the corresponding amounts also in repeating fields. I listed the components in column A and the corresponding amounts in Column B. I saved the Excel file as CSV tried to import into a newly created record. From the newly created FP9 record, I selected FILE – IMPORT – FILE. The import window showed that these will be considered as separate records. Each component and corresponding levels get separated into separate records, but I want them all to be in a single FP9 record (into each repeating field of the table). How can I stop them getting separated into several records? How should I set up the Excel table to accomplish this.

• 1. Re: How to import excel data into repeating fields of a single FP9 Pro record.
          Jens Teich
             Try to avoid repeating fields for this task. They are very handy at the very beginning but the data filled in is sort of lost later and inaccessible by relationships. This is due to the fact that historicly repeating fields are from the FileMaker stoneage and predating relationships.

Use an extra table for the ingredients, connect them via relationship and export from excel will be without problem.

Aside: FileMaker ships example files which use repeating fields the same wrong way which is a pity and very misleading for newbees.

Jens

• 2. Re: How to import excel data into repeating fields of a single FP9 Pro record.
            TSGal

RRNathan:

FileMaker separates values in a repeating field with an ASCII-29 character.  Therefore, if you need to bring the information into a repeating field, separate each entry with an ASCII-29.  By using a carriage return (ASCII-13), the data will be brought into separate records.

I don't know Excel well enough to know if this is possible.

Suggestions from others? 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.