5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 5:01 AM by LeoCA

How to Import Layouts, Scripts, etc from one FileMaker file to another?

LeoCA

Title

How to Import Layouts, Scripts, etc from one FileMaker file to another?

We need to keep current application in operation while making improvements to it.  I copied existing file to my working area and added/modified layouts, scripts, and tables for new improvements. How can I port those changes to the existing file (adding new's and replacing old's)?

Am I doing right way when making improvements?

Any help is appreciated.

LeoCA

• 1. Re: How to Import Layouts, Scripts, etc from one FileMaker file to another?
          TSGal

LeoCA:

Thank you for your post.

At some point, you will have to bring down the database file to update the changes.  You may want to send out a notice to everyone that the file will be down from xx:xx to yy:yy on a specific date.  At least other users can plan for it.  Then, you can bring the file down, replace it with the new file, import the appropriate records, and make it available to everyone.

You can also do it piecemeal.  That is, if you have modified a layout, you can ask users to log off for five minutes while you copy and paste the layout information.  For tables, it would probably require a little longer down time.  However, you could import a text file with field names that would create a new table with those field names.  Copy and paste layout information.  Scripts can also be imported.  It depends how often you are going to be doing this.  The more information you can give to your users beforehand is the key.  Nobody likes a database to go down without any communication (or unexpectedly).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: How to Import Layouts, Scripts, etc from one FileMaker file to another?
            LeoCA

Thank you TSGal.

We are currently using the first method to update our applications.  However, "import the appropriate records" is the process we try to have a better QC.  We are deleting all records in all tables (more than 15 tables) from the file that has the new modules.  Then importing data table by table from the file with current modules. Is there any better way to transfer the data?  We are afraid that developers may not be able to tell if data has been transferred if deletion is not verified and performed properly at first place. Human error is easily to introduce in our way right now.

As far as piecemeal method, how can we handle the new layout? Copy and paste is the same as redoing the whole layout isn't it?

Thanks.

LeoCA

• 3. Re: How to Import Layouts, Scripts, etc from one FileMaker file to another?
              Kundinger

Hi "LeoCA",

Here is a 'link' to a solution I provided to another user on this forum... 

I understand that NOT all of what I describe will pertain to your situation, but some of it may help you.

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 4. Re: How to Import Layouts, Scripts, etc from one FileMaker file to another?
                TSGal

LeoCA:

Thanks for the additional information.

If you are deleting all records and importing into 15 tables, that can take some time.  However, if this is in a script, it could go fairly quickly.

If you are making changes to an existing layout, it may be easy to just copy the entire contents of a layout, go to the existing layout, remove everything and paste.  This would probably be a lot faster than deleting all the records and importing.

If you have a new layout, I would first take the measurements of the layout of where the Header, Body, Footer and other parts reside, and then create a new layout with the same measurements and again copy and paste like before.  It all depends on timing.  When I think of "redoing the whole layout", I usually don't think about copy and paste; I usually think about recreating everything including fields.  Copy and paste would be quicker for me.

I hope this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: How to Import Layouts, Scripts, etc from one FileMaker file to another?
                  LeoCA

TSGal and Kundinger,

Thank you for your suggestions.  They refine our approach.

LeoCA