1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 1:45 PM by philmodjunk

How to Input multiple items into portal at once

andychang

Title

How to Input multiple items into portal at once

Hello, I am really new at the filemaker, and easiness of the filemaker amaze me, I got really far in my project without much of problem. There is a problem I encounter really make me stuck. I am trying to create a quote system that track the request for quote and the quote that we send out. By using the example of the invoice system on the filemaker website, I manage to add individual item on the reply quote's line portal. The problem that I am having is sometime we want to add large amount of the line item into the portal which is really time consuming and easy to make mistake. How I will like to do is by selection the request for quote number then the system auto fill all the related item into the quote line item portal . 

Thanks in advance to help the newbie out .

Here is my table relationship

request for quote----<request item----<quote line item>----quote

• 1. Re: How to Input multiple items into portal at once
          philmodjunk

From what table will you be able to use the request for quote number to find the data that you want to enter into the quote line item table?

Are these records already entered in this table, but with an ID number (request for quote number) common to all that you want?

If so, there are two basic ways you can do this. Both use a script and start with this step:

Set Variable [$RFQNumber ; value: Request item::Request for Quote Number]

Both would use a global field: gTemplateRFQ in order for the user to specify the Request For Quote number of the line items that you want to copy from.

In each case, you'd then use gTemplateRFQ to perform a find for those line item records.

Option 1

The next step would be to use Import Records to import this found set into a different occurrence of the same table. You'd then use Replace Field Contents to update the records created by this import so that Request item::Request for Quote Number gets the value stored in $RFQNumber.

Option 2

The next step is a looping script that uses duplicate record to duplicate line items one record at a time and uses set field to update the Request item::Request for Quote Number of the new copy with $RFQNumber.

Either way produces the same results and the user gets those results by selecting/entering a request for quote number in gTemplateRFQ and then performing your script via trigger or button click to cause the complete set of records to appear in the Line Items portal.