6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 12:33 PM by philmodjunk

How to insert a new record in a particular position

zayscott

Title

How to insert a new record in a particular position

I have a contact roster that I want to insert a new record under a particular row rather than at the end. If I choose new record, it automatically moves me to the end. I guess another option if it exist, can I move a record up or relocate it to new row position once it has been created? If that is possible, then canm someone show me how?

• 1. Re: How to insert a new record in a particular position
          fitch

FileMaker  records are permanently stored in the order they were created, period. The only way to permanently change this order would be to sort, export, delete, and re-import the records. Not something you'd want to do on a regular basis.

However, if your records are curently sorted, a new record will automatically move to its sorted position. Maybe you could create a "sort" field that auto-enters the previous record's sort value. Or something like that.

• 2. Re: How to insert a new record in a particular position
            philmodjunk

To expand on Fitch's response:

Say you have a field that auto-enters a serial number.

The records in your portal may be numbered in this field 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9 , 10

If you want the last record to appear between the second and third record, you can specify that the portal be sorted in ascending order on this field, then assign a value of 2.5 to the record and it will sort into position between the 2nd and 3rd rows.

• 3. Re: How to insert a new record in a particular position
              zayscott

Oh ok, well right now I do not have it doing any sequencing or sorting. So, do I need to create a new colum and say call it Roster Order, then set that with a serial number option? Basically we have people in various roles, and they would be pissed if their names are all of a sudden lower on the roster, rather than at the top. If I set any sorting order by name or extension, it will definitely change their record location. So, based on that restriction, does not seem that I have a solution. There are 350 names on the roster, and it was imported from an excel sheet. I guess I can export the current list to excel, edit the excel sheet, then re-import it with the names in the order they need to be. I welcome any other suggestions while I ponder on one myself.

• 4. Re: How to insert a new record in a particular position
                philmodjunk

You'll need some kind of field to sort on that you can edit values to control the order. A serial number field makes sense if the creation order is close the final order you need so as to minimize the changes needed, but any number field will work here. The number field need not be visible in the portal.

• 5. Re: How to insert a new record in a particular position
                  zayscott

You lost me here a bit. Just to be clear:

• I can add a new field called Roster Order
                  • set the field value to use a serial number (would I need to manually number the already existing fields, then set the serial to start from the last manually entered number I assigned?)

Please advise, sorry, I so a beginner to this.

• 6. Re: How to insert a new record in a particular position
                    philmodjunk

You will need to update the existing records to give them a number, but you don't have to type it in by hand.

Go to a layout that refers directly to your portal records without needing a portal.

Put this new field on that layout.

In browse mode, select show all records and click into this field. Use replace field contents from the record menu to update this field with serial numbers. If you select the correct options, you can both enter a serial number and update the next serial value setting to be one greater than the last serial number assigned by the replace field contents operation.

when you display the records in a portal, this number field does not have to be placed in this portal. Obviously, if you want to use this portal to change the order of a record, you'll need access to the field so that you can edit the value to change the order. There are several ways to do that. editing the field manually is one way, a script where you pop up a dialog and enter the row number (not the serial number field) of the field after which you want to reposition the current record is another. With this second option, your script manipulates the values in this number field for you without the user needing to know the actual values being changed.