5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2014 8:08 AM by SRF

How to insert data into 2 page fill in PDF

SRF

Title

How to insert data into 2 page fill in PDF

I have a two page pdf fill-in form document that I need to insert data into from FM.  How do I make this layout?  I also need the layout to print both pages of the pdf on the front and back of one piece of paper.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to insert data into 2 page fill in PDF
          philmodjunk

FileMaker is not able to insert such data into a PDF form. What you can do is extract each page of the PDF and insert them into the layout and place fields on top of the "blanks" where you need to insert data to complete the form and then you can print the form. You can make the layout two pages in height in order to handle a two page document.

Printing on both sides of the same page is a duplex printing feature unless you print one page at a time and reload the page properly flipped over to print the other side. Either way, this is not something you can set up in FileMaker as it's printer and OS setting controlled.

• 2. Re: How to insert data into 2 page fill in PDF
            SRF

Thank you.  Yes I've tried that but with no success.  Specifically how do I make the layout two pages in height and how do I indicate the page break?  Also, If I insert the pdf into the layout as a picture, does it have to be within anything ro can I just place it on the layout?  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: How to insert data into 2 page fill in PDF
              philmodjunk

how do I make the layout two pages in height

Enter layout mode and select your printer in Printer setup. Select the correct page size and orientation. This should put horizontal and vertical lines on your layout showing the print area and page breaks. You can drag the border between body and footer down to make the layout large enough to hold two pages. You can probably simplify your layout by removing the header and footer layout parts.

Everything above the horizontal page break line will be on page one. Everything below on page two. You can also adjust the position of this page break line by specifying margins in layout set up.

And yes, you can use the insert menu to insert pictures directly onto the layout while you are in layout mode.

• 4. Re: How to insert data into 2 page fill in PDF
                SRF

Thank you.  I did what you said and in browse mode it does show 2 pages and in layout mode I do see the page break line but it still only prints the first page.  Both pages are in a single body part across the page break - does this make a difference?  It just won't print the two pages.  Also, what if anything should be check on the definition of the body?  Thank you very much again.  

• 5. Re: How to insert data into 2 page fill in PDF
                  SRF

With you great help I found the problem.  The print range was not changing from 1 to 2 pages even though the layout was two pages long.  I manually changed the print range from 1 to 1 to 1 to 2 and it works perfectly now.  Thank you.