7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2012 1:25 PM by CaryWolinsky

How to insert one photograph into multiple records?

CaryWolinsky

Title

How to insert one photograph into multiple records?

I updating an old Filemaker database showing the detailed records of photographs I have for sale in a number of galleries. Each print is sold in an edition of 30. I have set up the database so that each print has its own record number. In each record I have added a container field for a thumnail of the photo. Is there a way I can add the same thumbnail photo to 30 records at a time?

Thanks,

Cary

• 1. Re: How to insert one photograph into multiple records?
          CaryWolinsky

I should have mentioned that I am updating an older FM database that did not have thumbnail photos as part of the record.

Cary

• 2. Re: How to insert one photograph into multiple records?
            davidanders

Replace Field Contents ...  is an option under the Records Menu

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/add_view_data.4.48.html

Test this on a copy of the database.

• 3. Re: How to insert one photograph into multiple records?
              philmodjunk

Better than replace Field contents may be to modify your design so that all 30 records link to one related record where a container field stores the image.

• 4. Re: How to insert one photograph into multiple records?
                CaryWolinsky

Thank you DavidAnders

You suggested:

<<Replace Field Contents ...  is an option under the Records Menu http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/add_view_data.4.48.html  Test this on a copy of the database.>>

Your suggestion seemed logical to me but here is what happend when I tried it:

I first did a search on the Title of the photograph and found 30 the records with that name. The name of the field where I want to add pictures is called "Thumbnai." I selected the Thumbnail field (there is currently nothing in the Thumbnail fields) and then clicked on the Records>Replace Fields Contents...

This dialog box appeared:

Permanently replace the contents of the field "Thumnail" in the 30 reocrds of the current found set?

The dialog box has the following options:

_Replace with "nothing."

_Repace with serial numbers Initial value 1

__Increment by 1

__Updarte seial number in Entry Options?

_Replace wtih calculated result (Specifiy...) Hitting Specify brought up the formulas dialog box.

There was no option to replace "nothing" with files despite the fact that this field is designated as a Container.

I expermented with the first option: _Replace with "nothing," thinking that perhaps it would replace the empty container with the word "nothing" and then I could perform another replace...replacing the word "nothing" with a file. In fact, what happened when I chose replace with "nothing" was---nothing (at least that I could see). I see this is beginning to sound like a" Who's on First" routine so I'll stop. I welcome any further thoughts on this technique.

Cary

• 5. Re: How to insert one photograph into multiple records?
                  CaryWolinsky

Thank you PhilModjunk

You suggested.

<<Better than replace Field contents may be to modify your design so that all 30 records link to one related record where a container field stores the image.>

I like this idea although I'll have to read up on reated records.  Can I do this retroactively, making the change to groups of 30 records at a time?

Cary

• 6. Re: How to insert one photograph into multiple records?
                    philmodjunk

With scripting, yes.

Example:

You could create a table of photos with at least three fields:

__pkImageID---> auoto-entered serial number

ImageName : Text
                         Image : container field

Then set up your table that has many records that need to show the same image like this:

MainTable::_fkImageID = Images::__pkImageID

Then it's a matter of entering the value of __pkImageID into the _fkImageID field of every record in MainTable that needs to link to this one image.

Replace Field Contents is a tool that could be used to put that id number into the _fk field of your MainTable records.

If my notation is unfamiliar: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 7. Re: How to insert one photograph into multiple records?
                      CaryWolinsky

Thank you Philmodjunk, I see that, DavidAnders' suggestion is implemented at the end this solution as well. Not being a facile with FM  (I am a build-it-once-and-use it-for-years  user), I may struggle with this a bit to figure this out but you have been generous with this advice and I am grateful. I'll let you know when I get it to work.

Cary