8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 3:36 PM by SteveMartino

How to Insure a Layout

citygal

Title

How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?

I'm a new FM Pro user. I want one of my layouts to be for display only but cannot find a simple way to do this.    I'm displaying data from 2 related tables on it.  As I'm the only user of this database, I need to protect it from myself!  Giving myself 2 identities is not the answer.  Is there a way to set this layout & data on it so no modification is allowed?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
          philmodjunk

Actually, giving your self two passwords should work just fine for what you want.

You can also select all the fields in your layout and use behavior settings to deny access to the field while in Browse mode.

• 2. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
            AppGuy

Filemaker handles security by privilege set which is assigned to the user.  This is the best way if you want to ensure nothing happens.. 

So as long as the user you are logging in with only has the modified privilege set you should be good..

When you develop you would log in as your developer user..

Hope this helps..

• 3. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
              citygal

Hmm ... this a real problem.  Protection should be able to be set by user and screen (or layout as called in FM Pro) as well.  Having 2 logins doesn't work for me.  I'm constantly shifting back & forth between data entry and browse.  Too easy to make changes to data in Browse.  

I need to be able to protect an entire display (layout) from any changes to data. As I said, I am the ONLY person using these databases. Can't constantly log in & out.  FM Pro should take this situation into account when developing.  I've been a database admin for years - SQL Server - Windows network; never encountered an inability to protect a whole screen. 

Perhaps this can be added to FM Pro?

• 4. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
                philmodjunk

With the relogin script step, you can click a button and the system re-logs you in with the restricted password. Click the same button again or a different button and the mouse click can log you back in with the full access password--All very quick and requires no more than the click of a single mouse.

• 5. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
                  citygal

Well, I figured out how to do it without having to log in as a different user.  In Edit mode I selected each field and, in Inspector mode, removed the ability to modify data in both Browse and Find.  That secures the data on that specific screen.   smiley   Seems basic; surprised no one suggested this.  

Thanks anyway for trying to help me out.

Best,

Citygal

• 6. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
                    davidanders

PhilModJunk suggested that in his first response.

I suggest regular backups

• 7. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
                      citygal

Yes David, Now I understand what he meant.  I didn't know what he meant by the word 'behaviors'; assumed it had to do with the settings assigned to different logins since it was in the same paragraph.  Had he specified 'Inspector' that'd made it clearer.

Citygal

• 8. Re: How to Insure a Layout & it's Data Can't be Modified?
                        SteveMartino

lol...btw im a newbie too.....

It's not the job of the people helping you for free to fully understand your experience and limitations (you mentioned "I've been a database admin for years - SQL Server - Windows network").  I only chuckle as I read your original post that you are requesting help to protect the database from the creator (yourself).

Another option, if its only to display data, would be to make a similar layout of all merge fields, with an edit button that can take you to the data entry layout(s), where you would have full access.