5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 9:55 PM by philmodjunk

How to layout a repeating field in multiple columns

b24mike

Title

How to layout a repeating field in multiple columns

I'm very new to working with FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 but am working with an associate who has extensive experience with an earlier version of FileMaker Pro (v7).  We're trying to create a searchable database of missions flown by a World War II bomb group.  We've created a roster table of personnel assigned to the unit (over 4,600 men).  For the air crew members, we want to link the mission numbers they flew to the plane and pilot they flew with.

The maximum number of missions flown by an individual in the unit was 49, but we have decided to make the repeating field larger in case another unit wanted to use our format in their own database.  We have set the number of repeats at 60 and would like to have multiple columns rather than one continuous horizontal or vertical table.  In the earlier version this was possible, but that functionality has been removed for FM 12.  Any thoughts on how this could be done?

• 1. Re: How to layout a repeating field in multiple columns
          philmodjunk

What is the difference between "multiple columns" and "one continuous horizontal table"? Sounds like the same format to me.

I am not aware of any loss of feature here, but then I am not clear as to the difference between these two options.

That said, I strongly encourage you NOT to use a repeating field for this. You can set up a related table of missions flown records instead of the repeating field. Data from such a related table can be organized into columns using one row portals and there are several different options for controlling which portal displays data for a particular mission.

• 2. Re: How to layout a repeating field in multiple columns
            b24mike

Phil:

I will check with my associate about portals.  Our biggest problem is that his version of FM and mine are not compatible.  I can not "dumb" my version down to him and I have to manually update any changes he recommends.  I will dig through the help files to review how to use portals.

I'm attaching a screen shot of my relationship map and would appreciate any comments or suggestions for changes/updates.  I'm a recently retired software engineer  but have very limited databaase experience as my background was with embedded systems.

• 3. Re: How to layout a repeating field in multiple columns
              IT_User

I think you mean multiple rows and columns at the same time.  I never knew that was possible, though.

Help with portals:     http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7463/~/converting-repeating-fields-to-portals

I also know for printing purposes, if you have the related table instead of the repeating field you can

1.           Put the field on the layout.
              3.           Make the layout almost the size of the field.
              5.           Go into Layout mode
              7.           In Layouts -> Layout Setup -> Printing
              9.           Then change the Column amount

That will create multiple rows and columns.

• 4. Re: How to layout a repeating field in multiple columns
                raybaudi

"We have set the number of repeats at 60 and would like to have multiple columns rather than one continuous horizontal or vertical table.  In the earlier version this was possible, but that functionality has been removed for FM 12."

You have the same functionality in both version.
                     IE you could have 6 columns with 10 cells, because you can set the starting and ending repeatition number of each column.

• 5. Re: How to layout a repeating field in multiple columns
                  philmodjunk

From the look of your relationships graph, I recommend learning about the Anchor Buoy method of setting up groups of table occurrences that minimize the confusion due to ending up with a "spiderweb" of relationship links.