3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 6:02 AM by philmodjunk

How to link to a PDF file

AndrewLawrence

Title

How to link to a PDF file

Hi
           I am trying to create a button in filemaker that when clicked on, opens up a specified PDF file in preview.

I am quite new to filemaker, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy

• 1. Re: How to link to a PDF file
          philmodjunk

1) If the file has been inserted into a container field, the button can be set to use Export Field Contents to open the PDF file if you select the option that automatically opens the PDF on export.

2) If you use Insert FIle to insert the file into a container field with the store a reference option selected, you can double click the container field--so long as it is not optimized for interactive content, and the file will open.

• 2. Re: How to link to a PDF file
            AndrewLawrence

Hi Phil,
                 Thanks for that, worked perfectly, I ended up using container feilds to reference the PDF.

I have a small problem though. My database is published on the web and when viewing in a browser the container fields are blank. Is this a limmitation of instant web publishing or am I missing something?

• 3. Re: How to link to a PDF file
              philmodjunk

"store a reference" container fields will not work with IWP unless the files are inserted from a specific folder that comes with FileMaker. Check the Instant Web Publishing Guide that can be opened from FileMaker Help to learn more.