1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 9:44 AM by philmodjunk

how to link to multiple databases? like shortcuts to different DBs for different types of data entry

reaganmcdonald

Title

how to link to multiple databases? like shortcuts to different DBs for different types of data entry

Greetings!
      very new to FM, since there are no categories in this forum and since I don't even know what search terms to use to get to what I want to do. I have to spam the main forum with my super noob question!! And bonus forum etiquette no-no: I need to reference Bento, since I jhaven't yet found anything like the functionality in FM pro. So please, don't tell me to post my question in the Bento forums! /Doclaimers (sorry!)

Bento has the ability to create a database from templates, which are all visible on the left hand side, like shortcuts. You can have a list of databases you can flip back and forth easily from - to dos, media collections, personal finances, etc. HOW DO I ACCOMPLISH THIS WITH FM????? 

I know you can use the snapshot command, and you can save a particular search as a dropdown menu item under "find" on the top toolbar. But I was hoping for a drawer style set up, with sub collections the way Bento has. Right now I've opened several databases and tinkered with data entry in each. But if I want to go from one database to the other, I have to click on a different window(!) There has to be a way to address multiple databases from within one window, right?

(the reason I am not going with Bento, is should the day ever come where I understand enough about FM, I want to customize it beyond what Bento allows).

thank you to anyone with the patience to read this far!!!!!

Reagan

• 1. Re: how to link to multiple databases? like shortcuts to different DBs for different types of data entry
          philmodjunk

You've posted your question in exactly the right place.

There are many ways to do this in FileMaker.

You can set up a button for each file that uses the Open File step to open the other file.
          You can setup a drop down list that lists all the files with a srcript trigger that performs a script to open the selected file.
          You can use FileMaker advanced to add a custom menu that lists the other files and selecting an option from this menu use Open File to open that file.

You can also use Perform Script in each of these scenarios to perform a script in that file instead of using Open File. That option enables you to both open the file and do some initial setup such as selecting a specific layout, performing a find and/or sorting the records.