4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 8:37 PM by jgm_1

How to lock table temporarily with script?

jgm_1

Title

How to lock table temporarily with script?

I have an application in which I need to be able to temporarily lock one of the tables until another user has finished with it, and it needs to be scriptable.

Users in Table A use a button to go to Table B. I have tried using a global script variable in Table A, but it appears that each user gets their own copy of the script, & the variable is only global for that user. I then tried to add a field in Table A, but once again, when I set it to "locked" by one user, the other users still see it as "unlocked". 

• 1. Re: How to lock table temporarily with script?
          philmodjunk

Yes, global fields provide each user with their own "virtual copy" of that field so values set in such a field by one user are not visible to other users.

You can set up this kind of relationship between a single record table and table A:

LockTable::anyfield X Table A::anyfield

The cartesian join operator: X enables any record in table A to match to all records in LockTable and vice versa.

Now you can modify the value of a field in LockTable and if you use it in a "lock expression" in manage security, users that are not "full access" can be prevented from accessing and/or modifying data in this table until the value in the LockTable's record is modified to once again unlock the table.

• 2. Re: How to lock table temporarily with script?
            jgm_1

I have created a new LockTable with a single Lock field, and created a relationship LockTable::Lock X TableA::tableAID. I then created some test scripts:

Lock Test

Show Custom Dialog ["Lock Status"; LockTable::Lock]

Lock Set

Set Field [LockTable::Lock; "Locked"]

Lock Clear

Set Field [LockTable::Lock; "Unlocked"]

On my first test, I ran the 3 scripts on the server & all behaved as expected, but when I ran Lock Test on a client it did not return anything, & the other 2 scripts gave an error message that the server was modifying the record. I changed the Lock filed to global storage, and now the clients were able to run the set & clear scripts, but the status on the client and server are not the same.

• 3. Re: How to lock table temporarily with script?
              philmodjunk

Include a commit record after the set field step that modifies the record. Until the record is committed, the change in value is not accessible to other users and the record is locked against edits from other users.

• 4. Re: How to lock table temporarily with script?
                jgm_1

Many thanks PhilModJunk - this has solved my problem.