2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 11:59 AM by philmodjunk

How to make a Calculation Field

tencargarage

Title

How to make a Calculation Field

I am trying to create a calculated field called customer number.  It is a combination of Organization Name and Room number. 

All the fields are text.

In the Customer Number field I specify it as a calculation field and Dclick on Organization name and have tried using the & and the + fields and then DClicking the Room Number field. It is accepted by the system.

In entry mode I put in an organization from a Drop Down value list and in the Room number field enter a room number.

No Customer Number appears.

When I enter the field it allows entry of data.  

What am I doing wrong/

Thanks in advance. 

• 1. Re: How to make a Calculation Field
          davidanders

Sometimes, it is useful to back off and do a simple howto.

1] make a simple database

2] make a simple relationship

3] test

4] this would mean a field that is a number and takes "01" as an entry

5] this would mean a field that is a number and takes "02" as an entry

6] this would mean a calc field that multiples "field01" times "field02" to give  "xx"

This eliminates confusion and corrupt databases as possible sources of confusion.

• 2. Re: How to make a Calculation Field
            philmodjunk

Are you using an auto-entered calculation? If so, clear the "Do not replace existing value for field (if any)" check box.

Or are you defining a field of type calculuation returning a text type? (If you double-click the field definition in Manage | Database, a specify calculation dialot will appear and the return type will be shown in the lower left corner of the dialog box.)