6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 11:15 PM by microbatteryshop

How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft

microbatteryshop

Title

How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft

For four days I'm trying to make a file export from FileMaker Pro to a TXT or CSV file so I can import it into actinic.

First I try to put all my separate words for my table into a separate fields.

And I export it as a TXT or CSV separated with a comma.

It looks like this below:

------------
      "Header:PriceSchedule","Schedule Name","Base Schedule","Calculation Method","Calculation Factor","","","","","",""
      "Header:Price","Customer Group","Price","Minimum","","","","","","",""
      "Header:Product","Product Reference","Short description","Full description","Image filename","Price","Tax Treatment","Cost Price","Shipping data","Stock in hand","Stock checks enabled"
           ------------
           However in this case I have empty fields and  Microsoft does not recognize the new line! And it put everting in one line.

"Header:PriceSchedule","Schedule Name","Base Schedule","Calculation Method","Calculation Factor","","","","","","""Header:Price","Customer Group","Price","Minimum","","","","","","","""Header:Product","Product Reference","Short description","Full description","Image filename","Price","Tax Treatment","Cost Price","Shipping data","Stock in hand","Stock checks enabled""Header:Section","Section Name","","","","","","","","","""PriceSchedule","15","Qty B","0","0","","","","","","""

So I'v tried to do it with  tabs and windows ANSI

Header:PriceSchedule        Schedule Name    Base Schedule     Calculation Method    Calculation Factor
      Header:Price    Customer Group    Price Minimum
      Header:Product    Product Reference      Short description     Full description     Image filename     Price     Tax Treatment     Cost Price      Shipping data      Stock in hand      Stock checks enabled
      Header:Section     Section Name

It looks promising it is exactly what I need however Microsoft does again what it wants.

The empty fields are still there and Microsoft does not recognize the new line and my tabs are gone

Header:PriceSchedule Schedule Name Base Schedule Calculation Method Calculation Factor       Header:Price Customer Group Price Minimum          Header:Product Product Reference Short description Full description Image filename Price Tax Treatment Cost Price Shipping data Stock in hand Stock checks enabled        Header:Section Section Name

I also tried to put my information in one single field and export that, however with the same results.

txt, csv, ANSI, Unicode , UTF-16, UTF-8  nothing helps.

Is there someone smarter than me who can fix my problem?wink

Many many many thanks for the help,

dirk

• 1. Re: How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft
          schamblee

I'm confussed about your question.  You state actinic then you state Microsoft.  What does microsoft have to do with this ?  Each software package has it own format created by the developer of the package, no matter the operating system.  I'm not clear what you want, cvs files put all of one record on one line. CVS files have a standard format, like most files.  What is actinic ? Is it a web hosting site?  You would need detail format information from actinic.  You may have to have a plugin from Actinic.

• 2. Re: How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft
            microbatteryshop

I will explain.

When exporting my data into a TXT file I see that my files have the correct tabs and new linebreaks at the end.

However when I take this file and I open it in Microsoft's " notepad" instead of Apple "teksteditor" it is completely wrong.

The tab between each word is gone and the line breaks are also gone. When I ad these tabs and linebreaks again in the Microsoft notepad  file than can import this into the actinic program withoud errors. when i try the txt file that was made in Apple "teksteditor" i cannot import it into the actinic program. so it seems to me that theformat of my txt file does not work properly in microsoft.  Although i tried every possibel solution filamkemar has?

It seems somewhat rediculus  that we have to change every TXT file made in apple osx in microsoft befor using it there! no?

So what could I do wrong?

• 3. Re: How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft
              schamblee

If it wouldn't import from Teksteditor or Notepad it sound like it has nothing to do with either operating system but with the file that is being created by Filemaker.  Filemaker can't account for every format in every software package / website, therefore you would have to phase your own data which might can be done within filemaker or you might have to have a plugin on filemaker side or the website.  Post detailed information of the format the file should look like. If the website or software package has instruction about the import file format, then post it here or a link to it. 

• 4. Re: How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft
                davidanders

I assume you mean the ecommerce site   http://www.actinic.co.uk/
                http://shopping-cart-review.toptenreviews.com/actinic-catalog-review.html

Despite all of the administrative tools available from Actinic Catalog, this application lacks several tools that you will find in similar applications. For example, this shopping cart software allows for an inventory of up to 20,000 products. This is a drawback since many similar applications offer an unlimited inventory. Also, there is no option for uploading products in bulk. All products must be entered individually. Actinic Catalog also does not have any mobile access capabilities.

Notepad on Windows is not recommended.  Wordpad on Windows will work correctly.
                     Notepad++  is commonly recommended

TextEdit on Mac is not recommened. TextWrangler would be a good choice.

• 5. Re: How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft
                  schamblee

I assume that your are using the website data plugin.   According to the data plugin instructions you can use excel or cvs.  Filemaker will let export data in excel format.  Have you tried excel format ?

• 6. Re: How to make a correct TXT file for Microsoft
                    microbatteryshop

i have not tried the excel yet.

but using txt or csv the problem is the line break difference between apple and microsoft.

accoring to the mac forum apple ( and filemaker) use only CR and microsoft LF.

And as far as i know it is very difficult or inpossible to change that accept changing it with Microsoft Notepad .

i try the excel first and keep you updated.