1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 11:53 AM by philmodjunk

How to make a file multi user

ErnstG

Title

How to make a file multi user

Hello. At the shop we have5 computers that connect into the main computer. When I try to open a filemaker pro file it gives me the error File is currently in use and could not be opened. The file is single-user, or the host could not be found on the network.

Im able to ip into the computer fine. I dont think it is a network issue. But I should be able to open this shared file and modify things.

The file that I want to be shared also has the "Multi-User" field checked off. 3 computers on my network can open the file and edit just fine. I just have 2 computers that gets that single-user error.

We're using FileMaker Pro 4.0

• 1. Re: How to make a file multi user
          philmodjunk

What exact steps are you using to open the file? If you choose Open Remote from a problem computer, can you see the file?

If not, check Edit | Preferences | Application on the client computers and make sure that they have been set up for the same network protocol. (Back in the ancient FMP 4 and 5 days, the fmp app supported more than one network protocol.)

Next check the network properties for the network protocol you've selected on a working and non-working computer. Make any changes to the the settings for the problem computer needed to match that set up for the working computer.