2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 1:51 AM by FrancoT

How to make an edit box automatically adjust its height ?

wladdy

Title

How to make an edit box automatically adjust its height ?

I have text field which can contain anything from zero to over one thousand words. When I use a regular edit box to view that field, the resulting layout is very ugly because the height of the edit box never fits the text: records with little text get too much insightly blank space, while verbose records cannot display all their text.

I remember that in Access, I could set an auto-height option to an edit box so that I shrink or grow according to its contents. Is something similar available with Filemaker? Having a table made almost exclusively with text fields, I would love to have a layout enabling me to read it continuously, like a book, with no big gap between parts...

Any solution or best-practice workaround would be very welcome. W.

• 1. Re: How to make an edit box automatically adjust its height ?
          philmodjunk

For print/preview/PDF purposes, you can set a field to shrink, Resize enclosing part in the Inspector's Position tab. This does not affect the size of the field in browse mode. Often, with such fields, you end up with two layouts: one with scroll bar equipped fields for browse/edit purposes and one with very large fields set to shrink used for printing.

Key facts about sliding:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below a slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Only objects in the body will slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.

• 2. Re: How to make an edit box automatically adjust its height ?
            FrancoT

This 2 years ago post was claiming the possibility to auto-resize a field not just in Preview mode, but also in Browse mode, in order to easily use Filemaker as a typical word processing (Word), with the huge advantage to index the paragraphs accordingly.

Is there any chance to find today a solution for this? Is Filemaker 13 somehow structured to allow this?

thank you in advance