10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 1:44 PM by MagnusAxelsson

How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?

MagnusAxelsson

Title

How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?

Hello!

I’m having 2 problems I don’t know how to solve.
           I'm using FileMaker 12 PRO.

1.           I created a layout that picks fields from another table and these fields have a default value specified (red selection on screen dump).
                  But when I create a new post these values are not shown.
                  If I enter a value in another field (blue selection on screen dump) that is also picked from the other table but does not contain any default values, the default values in the other field pops up.

How do I make the default values to be shown upon creating a new post, without entering data in another field first?

1.           I have one layout with a bunch of calculations.
                  It works fine when using it on a computer but with the iPad it does not always perform the calculations. I need to click on another field to make the calculations to work. Just leaving the field which I just enter data in is not enough. Is there any script I could use to make the layout perform all calculations required?

Thank you!

filemaker.PNG

• 1. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
          philmodjunk

I created a layout that picks fields from another table

This appears to indicate that you have two tables, one for your current layout and that "other table". Yet you do not tell us what relationship links them to each other. We need to know that relationship and also how you want to use these "default values" as there are a number of options possible.

It works fine when using it on a computer but with the iPad it does not always perform the calculations.

Generally speaking, calculations in Filemaker Pro and FIleMaker Go work exactly the same. Since they don't in your case, you will need to describe these calculations and exactly how they fail. Calculations in a calculaiton field? In an auto-entered calculation on a data field? In a summary field? In a script? In a conditional format expression? or ???

• 2. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
            MagnusAxelsson

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, that’s correct. I use 2 tables.
                 I don’t really know how to explain all of these relationships to you so I use screen dumps….
                 I link an ID field in each table.

All calculations works fine, it’s just that I can’t see the default values I entered in the database until I make some changes in the other fields. When I set a random value (blue section) the values in the red section pops up, but I want the values in the red section to be visible from the start.

The values I set is just numbers. In this case currency.

Same goes here. The calculations actually works, I get the results that I want.
                 BUT… When using iPad I need to jump around a bit, clicking on different fields, deselect them and then suddenly it updates the summery field (red selection).
                 This layout is made for calculate number of work hours, hourly billing and material costs.
                 Summering these values and present the value the customer will be charged.

It’s all on a very basic level. I’m not using any scripts…
                 I tried to place an “update button” on the layout. A button that will just commit any changes and present the right values… But that did not work… And that’s because I really don’t know how to do it.
                 Tried some script values, but no….

I’m sorry if my explanations sucks but I’m quite new to FileMaker….

It feels like these 2 issues might be related… The booth collects data/fields from more than one table and it seems like they are having trouble to automatically get the data without some kind of input from the user (clicking fields or entering data in some other fields…)

So, is there something I always should do to improve the communications between tables?
                 Something I missed?

• 4. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
              MagnusAxelsson

Hi again!

Here is an example of what happens when I work with my document.

In the screen shot below I added 2 rows.
                   I filled in worked time and material costs and it gave me the results shown in red selections.
                   The calculations gave me the amount to charge the customer (black selection).
                   Everything looks fine.

But… Then I changed my mind and deleted the 2 rows…
                   Look at the screen shot. All summery values are still there.
                   If I click (using PC right now so this issue is obviously not only iPad related) at the blue X the fields and calculations will be updated, setting all values to 0.

• 5. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
                MagnusAxelsson

One more example. This one regards question nr.1

This layout is based on table called “Service AKLA”.

The right selection is a field picked from a table called “C_Service AKLA”.
                     The left selection is a field from this current table (Service AKLA).

Both fields contains a default data value “420”.
                     But when I create a new post only the field located in the current table is updated with its default values.
                     The field placed in table C_service AKLA remains empty.

What am I doing wrong? smiley

• 6. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
                  philmodjunk

Let's not discuss summary values just yet. And let's stay with just the first layout that you show until we get a better understanding...

I'm looking at your relationship and don't understand how you need it to work. How are these "default" values? Default values are values you will use most of the time, but can change for a given record if circumstances merit that change. Since changing such a value shouldn't change the value for any other records, such values usually are copied into fields of the other table when a new record is created. Then you can edit the current record's copy of those default values without actually changing what value shows up as the "Default" in the next new record and without the change modifying the values shown on previous records.

Is that what you mean by "default"?

You currently show this relationship:

Meterprislista::ID =C_Meterprislista::Meterprislista_ID

If you go to layout setup... in the first layout that you show in this thread, do you see: Meterprislista or C_Meterprislista in the Show Records From drop down list?

Is Meterprislista::ID defined to auto-enter a serial number?

Is it specified to enter that value "on creation"?

"On creation" is the default setting for serial number fields, but it can be changed in Field Options. What you describe sounds like "On Commit" has been specified for this field.

• 7. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
                    MagnusAxelsson

Yes, exactly!

The “default value” is, as you described, a value used most of the time, but if necessary the user should be able to set a custom value.
                         And if this value is changed it should only affect the current post.
                         If I create a new post, the default value specified in the database should be shown.

Layout setup.
                         In the drop down list only “Meterprislista” is shown.
                         “C_Meterprislista” is a table used only for calculations.
                         I use a portal in the layout “Meterprislista” and the portals collects data from “C_Meterprislista”.
                         And it’s this part that does not work well for me.

The field ID is set to use auto-enter a serial number and it’s done on creation.

• 8. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
                      philmodjunk

In the relationship between these two tables, is "allow creation of records via this relationship" selected for C_Meterprislista?

If so, what is happening when you enter a value in the blue area on the layout shown in your original post is that by entering data into a field from C_Meterprislista, FileMaker is creating a new related record in that table. Prior to entering that data no related record in that table exists and thus no data appears in those fields on the layout until you enter data into one of the fields from this table.

• 9. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
                        MagnusAxelsson

Yes, it allows creation of records via this relationship.

Hmmm… Yes, the numbers in the read field are not shown until I enter some data in the blue field.
                             So, what you just said sounds very logic!
                             There is no data to be shown in the red field because I have not created a record in C_Meterprislista yet.
                             The record will be created as soon as I enter some data in the blue field.
                             Now I understand! But, how do I solve this? smiley
                             I need these numbers to be visible from the start and they need to be in C_meterprislista because of the portal function.

• 10. Re: How to make dafault values to show and how do I make calculations to work on iPad?
                          MagnusAxelsson

Oh, wait!
                               I got confused… I’m not using portals in this layout so I’ll just move these fields to ”Meterprislista”, that will solve the problem with my default values!