1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 9:31 AM by philmodjunk

How to make searching while creating a new record?

creek

Title

How to make searching while creating a new record?

I have 3 tables. T1 and T2 has a relationship with T3. Table T1 has column Code1 and Table T2 has column Code2.

When I create a new record in T3 I set the value of FKID1 and FKID2. Now I use this pop-up menu. First Pop-up menu display values from column Code1 and second pop-up from Code2. It works great. (Copy database in the attachment.)

http://www.4shared.com/file/XHT9mhkN/Searching_and_New_Record.html

Unfortunately, I'm looking for something else. I do not want to use pop-up menu. I want to replace the pop-up menu, "a text field". I want to be able to write the value "Code" and set the relationship between T1 and T2

In the file I showed it more precisely. I am looking for a solution or example.

I have File Maker Pro 11. Please help me.

• 1. Re: How to make searching while creating a new record?
          philmodjunk

I want to be able to write the value "Code" and set the relationship between T1 and T2

That sounds like a description of how you would use a drop down list where you can either select from the value list or type in the code. If this is what you want, just switch your field format in the inspector from "pop up menu" to "drop down list". If your value list is listing values from another table with one value from field 1 and another value field 2 with the show only values from second field option specified, the value from the second field will no longer appear in your field when you exit it. You can correct this issue by adding the field from that related table to your layout and placing it next to the drop down list formatted field.