4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 9:05 AM by philmodjunk

How to merge this? Very confused.

LisaJohnson

Title

How to merge this? Very confused.

What I want to do is take the JAZZ, rock, pop, Rap, check boxes and place it in my contact filemaker file (BOTH ARE ATTACHED) and cannot seem to figure this out and know it must be really simple.

I am nearing the probation period and need to have a splash of a Dbase, so any  help is greatly appreciated.

Big, Huge shout out to Fenton who has been very helpful.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

There are two (2) files, one is the contact management, the other is the music collection that I am trying to copy and past on the lower right side but keep getting an error.

http://www.MegaShare.com/2780780

I got it...

THANK YOU ALL THAT WOULD HAVE TOLD ME - I was missing the table and info.

Thanks BE AND GLORY BE TO GOD!!! Pray I still have this job and it last a long, long, VERY LONG time!

I SPOKE TO SOON.......

"I am getting an error when I select the table, "This operation could not be completed becuase the target is not part of a related table,"

Here is the latest file, just the one.....with the table and check boxes........

http://www.MegaShare.com/2780859

Screen_shot_2010-11-29_at_4.20.22_PM.jpg

• 1. Re: How to merge this? Very confused.
          LisaJohnson

Please help = could mean the difference of having a job or not!!!

Thanks and God Bless You!!!

• 3. Re: How to merge this? Very confused.
            LisaJohnson

Okay, perhaps I did not ask the right way and it is confusing.

The file you can download is the CONTACT MANAGEMENT databse, only it has the GENRE section taken from the MUSIC LIBRARY collection and the contacts are all Music contacts and I want to set it up so I can check off what type of music they like, then down the road, add additional items for film/tv executives, like what they are looking for in Music, or what type of movie they are doing.

If know one knows how to do, what type of table is it that I need where I can have an unlimited amount of check boxes and then be able to sort buy them depending on what is there.

Presently, I get the error, ""I am getting an error when I select the table, "This operation could not be completed becuase the target is not part of a related table,"

Thanks

Lisa

• 4. Re: How to merge this? Very confused.
              philmodjunk

The error message is telling you exactly what is wrong. You've add a new table to your database but you haven't linked it to the Layout's table occurrence in Manage | Database | Relationships. Since you haven't defined a relationship, FileMaker has no way to tell which record in Music Library to Link to the current record in Contact Management.

Add a contact ID field to Music library and then link Contact Mangement::Contact ID to Music Library::Contact ID and you'll no longer get this error message. If the Genre field is the only field from this table that you will be using, you could also simply define a text field in Contact Mangement and format it with the check box value list. If you will have multiple Music Library records to link to the same Contact Mangement record, you should place this field from Music Library in a portal.