5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 3:06 AM by Polarpro

How to minimize texts borders

Polarpro

Title

How to minimize texts borders

Hey there,

I wonder how I can minimize the borders of text that is directly placed on a layout. Quite often it happens that there is space between the borders and the actual letters, and I'd like to get rid off this. For example, in the attached image you can see that there is space at the bottom and at the right. Sure, I can try and drag the borders using the mouse, but that's always a fiddling. Is there anything more convenient?

Mike

info_size.jpg

• 1. Re: How to minimize texts borders
          philmodjunk

Is this text added to the layout with the layout tool while in Layout mode or text entered into a field while in Browse mode.

And what version of FileMaker are you using? (this makes a big difference in what your options are in dealing with this.)

• 2. Re: How to minimize texts borders
            Polarpro
                 Hey,

Sorry for not having been detailed enough. It is added to the layout with the layout tool while in Layout mode.

Currently, I usw FM 10 and FM 13.

Mike
            • 3. Re: How to minimize texts borders
              philmodjunk

There are quite a few differences between Filemaker 10 and 13 when it comes to layout design.

You can always drag the resize handles while in layout mode to shrink down the text borders to the minimum permitted.

In FileMaker 13, you an also adjust the padding for the layout object using the Advanced Graphic section of the Inspector's appearance tab, but you may find that this padding is already set to zero for layout text.

• 4. Re: How to minimize texts borders
                Polarpro

Thank you very much, but I was looking for a method that more or less by itself shrinks to the height and width of the text.

• 5. Re: How to minimize texts borders
                  Polarpro

Hello,

I just discovered that the desired feature is available in FM 13. If you copy and paste a text element in layout mode or if you duplicate it and then doubleclick on the text or click in the text and then use Cmd+A (so that all is marked) and then start to type, the borders automatically will adjust to the height/width of the letters. Very convenient. No more mouse fumbling.

FM 10 does not have this feature.