7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2014 6:34 PM by TKnTexas

How to modify a runtime solution?

daveslc

Title

How to modify a runtime solution?

I have a runtime solution that I have created (MyRuntimeApp  - which has the hidden .app extension on my Mac).  I would like to modify that and also maintain and use the modified runtime database in other contexts in filemaker.  Is this possible?

Filemaker help (from the Binding files into a runtime solution page) says, "You can open a bound runtime file in FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced to make modifications to it."  It also says, "If you need to add auxiliary files later to the existing runtime database solution, rebind the files using the same key." This indicates that I should be able to work with the runtime app file on my end,   but filemaker will not open the file.  (I am using Advanced.).  The only box I checked when creating the runtime solution is "Create Runtime Solution Application."

It seems like I can work around this by saving a copy of the current runtime file from within the runtime application, which appends the .USR extension which will then open in filemaker (MyRuntimeApp copy.USR).  Does this copy have the same functionality and database as the original database file that I used to produce the runtime application?  Is this .USR file equivalent to a .fp7 file? Or is something missing from it?  Why the .USR file extension?  Why not use .fp7?

Is there some reason that filemaker won't open the runtime app?  Is saving a copy the proper way to modify the database and runtime solution?

thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: How to modify a runtime solution?
          comment_1

The runtime application is a limited copy of the Filemaker application. You cannot open an application in another application.

The bound runtime file (or files), with .USR extension contains all the logic and data that you have put into your solution. This file CAN be opened and modified in Filemaker.

• 2. Re: How to modify a runtime solution?
            daveslc

comment wrote:

The runtime application is a limited copy of the Filemaker application. You cannot open an application in another application.

Ok, that makes sense. 

The bound runtime file (or files), with .USR extension contains all the logic and data that you have put into your solution. This file CAN be opened and modified in Filemaker.

Are you referring to the file created when I do a save as from within the runtime application?  Will this file have all of the same characteristics of the original .fp7 file that was used to create the runtime solution? 

Are you referring to the file created when I do a save as from within the runtime application?  Will this file have all of the same characteristics of the original .fp7 file(s) that was used to create the runtime solution? 

thanks,

Dave 

• 3. Re: How to modify a runtime solution?
              comment_1
                 No, I am referring to the .USR file created during the binding process. This file is for all purposes a copy of your .fp7 file, except the settings binding it to a specific instance of the runtime application.
              • 4. Re: How to modify a runtime solution?
                daveslc

What about the USR file created when you do a save as from the runtime application?  This file will have updated database entries as compared to the original fp7 file.

What are the properties of this file?  Is it the same (save for the updated data) as the original fp7/USR file?

• 5. Re: How to modify a runtime solution?
                  comment_1
                     I presume it will be a copy of the .USR file currently open by the runtime application (it's been while since I "ran" a runtime, so I am not sure what options it presents when saving as...).
                  • 6. Re: How to modify a runtime solution?
                    PaulBordenkircher

I think I got it...

Looks like you need to change the suffix of the .USR file back to .fmp12.  Once I did that, it recompiled the runtime solution just fine.

Just to be safe, I'd still make a copy of the .USR file and compile from that.

• 7. Re: How to modify a runtime solution?
                      TKnTexas

Whatever extension you use for the Runtime, typically .USR, you do not need to change that to .fmp12 in order to modify it.  FileMaker Pro can open the runtime versions directly.  I do so with either the Mac or Win side of developing.