6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 8:57 AM by KCGlass

How to not print not needed objects

Polarpro

Title

How to not print not needed objects

Hey,

On my print layout there are text objects (like "Name", "Information") and the actual fields (Name, Information). I use sliding objects: When one of the fields is empty, this field disappears from the print layout, which is what is desired. However, as there is still the field's (now not needed anymore) label in form of a text object to the left of the field I have some empty space between two printing fields.

I there a way to make the text objects disappear, too, if the corresponding field is empty?

Thank you, 

Mike

• 1. Re: How to not print not needed objects
          philmodjunk

Two options come to mind:

Option 1:

Set conditional formatting on your layout text to set the text color to match the background color if the corresponding field is empty. This is simple, but the space needed for you field label remains which may not be desirable.

Option 2:

Define a calculation field:

If (not isempty(field),"Field label", "")

Place this calculation field on your layout in place of your field label text and set it to slide up if you want to reclaim the space.

• 2. Re: How to not print not needed objects
            Polarpro

Thank you for your suggestions!

Option 2 was indeed something I was thinking about, too; but I hoped to find an other solution as this would mean to add a stack of fields to my table. I wished Filemaker would introduce something like "Conditional Printing"...

:)

• 3. Re: How to not print not needed objects
              Polarpro

So, I've tried your option 2, and it works fine :)

but I discovered something interesting: It seems that an empty field only disappears when its vertical alignment is set to top. If it is set to center, then it won't disappear. (At least that's the impression I got.)

• 4. Re: How to not print not needed objects
                comment_1

polarpro wrote:
                I hoped to find an other solution as this would mean to add a stack of fields to my table.

One repeating calculation field should suffice.

• 5. Re: How to not print not needed objects
                  Polarpro

comment wrote:

One repeating calculation field should suffice.

Thank you, comment!

polarpro wrote:

It seems that an empty field only disappears when its vertical alignment is set to top. If it is set to center, then it won't disappear.

The same fun thing is true for container fields containing graphics...

• 6. Re: How to not print not needed objects
                    KCGlass

I am using FileMaker Pro11.

I need to do this exact thing but when I define the calculation field as instructed above it gives me an error message and doesn't work. Is there a trick to it or is there a new feature in 11 that can help to not print unneeded objects?

Define a calculation field:

If (not isempty(field),"Field label", "")