4 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2012 9:39 AM by philmodjunk

How to Omit the Portal Records in Database?

CarlosSousa

Title

How to Omit the Portal Records in Database?

In the Portal I have some records and my aim is to Find Records outside the Portal not contained in the Portal.

Say in the Portal are records 1-12-105

Database has records 1 to 200.

I want to find all records except records 1-12-105.

How could I do that?

Thank you for your invaluable help.

• 1. Re: How to Omit the Portal Records in Database?
          TerraSoftware

You need to do portal filtering, either with the Portal Filter function in the portal attricbutes or you need to filter via the relationship with appropriate keys in the relationship.

What are the common demoninators for records 1, 12 & 105 ? This is critical to make your requirement work.

• 2. Re: How to Omit the Portal Records in Database?
            CarlosSousa

The relationship key gets all combinations of 3 numbers from the 5 numbers of each record.

If a record has 1-2-3-4-5 entered

the key gives: 1-2-3

1-2-4

1-2-5

1-3-4

1-3-5 and so on to a total of 10.

With this key I created a relationship inside the same table: key=key ( the same key)

so that the Portal gives me all records sharing 2 numbers

Now, I want to find ONLY the records (outside the Portal)  that don't share 2 numbers of any other record.

Hope I have explained my issue and thank you. 

• 3. Re: How to Omit the Portal Records in Database?
              CarlosSousa

Of course my answer contains an error.

where I wrote : "so that the Portal gives me all records sharing 2 numbers..." I should write:

so that the Portal gives me all records sharing 3 numbers (and not 2)

And: I want to find ONLY the records (outside the Portal)  that don't share 3 numbers of any other record.

I apologize

• 4. Re: How to Omit the Portal Records in Database?
                philmodjunk

It's really not clear what your current database design is.

On what table is the layout based and how is it related to the portal's table?

I can tell that you have a return separated list of values in a field that you are apparently using as a match field in a relationship.

It's not clear how that field calculates a list of three number text patterns like you show in your example.

Nor is clear why you have chosen to employ this method. Knowing why you have set it up this way, might enable us to suggest a simpler alternative. I've used a return separated key field before and it can be quite useful, but in many cases a separate join table provides the same functionality but with simpler scripts, calculations and layouts.

And what exactly do you mean by "outside the portal"?