3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2013 11:26 AM by miw

How to open data files in container in Filemaker Pro 12

Lisa-MarieLywood

Title

How to open data files in container in Filemaker Pro 12

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. When I add .doc files to a container, it does not open when i double click. Is there a script or something I need to do. I also have the same issue with adding pdf files. It shows just a white screen in container and when I double click it does not open but if I look at the content browser, it shows can't open it. I am running MacBook Pro, Mac Os X 10.7.4.

So grateful for anyone's help

• 1. Re: How to open data files in container in Filemaker Pro 12
          philmodjunk

What method did you use to insert them?

What optimization on the field did you select?

If you use Insert File with the "Store a reference" option enabled, and the field is NOT optimized for interactive content, you can doubled click the container to open the file.

With any of those details different, double click doesn't work, but you can use export field contents to export and open the file--which can be scripted so that all you do is click a button to open and view the file.

• 2. Re: How to open data files in container in Filemaker Pro 12
            Lisa-MarieLywood

Hi PhilModJunk,

thank you - you are magic. i selected "store as reference" option and did NOT optimize the field for interactive content - it works :). Now when I select it with a double click, it works. Thank you soooo much.

• 3. Re: How to open data files in container in Filemaker Pro 12
              miw

PhilMod:  In your July 25, 2012 response, what would the script be?  I csnnot click on my button once and have the file open for view without the extra step of downloading the file first.  Here si my script:

Set Error Capture [On]

Export Field Contents [File::Attachment | Container]

When I click on the button with the above script, I get the "Export Field to File" window to open but then I need to find a folder to save the file even though I have the "Automatically open file" checkbox checked.  I would like to ideally avoid this interim window if at all possible and just have the document in the container field open.