8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 1:21 PM by doctorvandermast

How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer

doctorvandermast

Title

How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer

The new Google Maps opens the Lite version of Google Maps in FileMaker's Web Viewer. Is there a text string to add to the request that will open the Full version of Google Maps in the Web Viewer?

• 1. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
          schamblee

There is not a Lite version of Google Maps.   It uses the Google Maps API,  the starter databases are just that starters, you can modify the url to display other information. 

Here is a sample database I created that has a few more options, it still based on the same url that is in the starter solutions.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeloxf494tj9yr4/GoogleMapsPinSample.fmp12?dl=0

I changed the custom functions to calculation for users that didn't have Advance.  

• 2. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
            schamblee

Also if you open the contact starter solution, the small map that is displayed is a button (Click the Map), that will perform a script that opens the map in your browser. 

• 3. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
              doctorvandermast

"There is not a Lite version of Google Maps"

In my Web Viewer now,  Google Maps opens saying it is the Lite version of Google Maps. Google is calling it the Lite version, not me. There is a thunderbolt symbol that will let you open what they call the Full version, but it opens in Safari, not in the Web Browser.

Previously, I could right-click on the map, choose What's Here from a popup menu and the result would display the GSP coordinates. That doesn't work in the Lite version any more, but it still does work in what Google is calling the Full version.

I don't want to open the map in the browser, I want to stay in the Web Viewer. Anyway to do that?

• 4. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
                schamblee

Are you using a starter solution?  What is the name of the starter solution?

• 5. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
                  schamblee

FM has not update some items of their software, if you use the old webviewer default  google maps url then you will get the message running in lite mode, by the way the message said it was new.  I don't use that url so I have not seen that problem before.   You can use the url from my samples database that I provided a link too, or use the url from the contact starter solution that is contain with the GetMap custom function.  Either will work without going into lite mode.

• 6. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
                    doctorvandermast

Let’s see if I can do a better job of asking this question.

I want to be able to get the GPS coordinates of a point in Google Maps while remaining in the FileMaker Web Viewer. With the Classic Google Maps, one was able to right-click on a point on the map, choose What’s Here from the resulting menu, and get the GPS coordinates of that point.

Now, with the new Google Maps, this doesn’t work. The new Google Maps has two versions, the Lite version and the Full version. The Lite Version will no longer show the coordinates when one chooses What’s Here.  However, the Full version still will, but I have to use Open URL and open the map in Safari to get get Google Maps in Full mode.

Also, the ability to go to the Classic version of Google Maps seems to have gone away.

Is it possible to make the Web Viewer default to the Full version of Google Maps? Also, I need this to work in a Runtime.

• 7. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
                      schamblee

The Windows version still works.  FM for Windows uses IE webkit where as Macs use safari webkit.    There may be a setting that you can change in safari that will fix this issue. 

Again, changing the URL may also fix the issue.  There is a Google Maps API and the url uses that API. 

• 8. Re: How to open Google Maps Full vs Lite in Web Viewer
                        doctorvandermast

I've searched the Google Maps forum and can't find any suggestions for how to default to open the new Google Maps in Full Mode except for clicking on the lighting bolt icon. In the FileMaker Web Viewer, that makes it leave the Web Viewer and open in Safari.

Maybe the FM safari webkit Stacy mentions is not accepted by the new Google Maps as capable of running in Full Mode. Looks like I might have to settle for opening another window in Safari to enable getting the GPS coordinates. The Google Maps forum has lots of complaints about the Classic Maps version no longer being available. It was still available for a while, but now it's gone.