7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 8:34 AM by philmodjunk

How to parse the date

PeterMontague

Title

How to parse the date

I'm trying to parse out the year of publication here:

This is the only case of "Publication Date:" in a long piece of text.

v class="buying"><span class="byLinePipe">Publication Date: </span><span style="font-weight: bold;">5 Jan 2009</span> </div>

I want to parse out the last word before "</span>".

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How to parse the date
          philmodjunk

</span> appears more than once. I would guess that by "last word" you want the year from the date: 2009.

Let ( [ T = Yourtable::YourTextField ;   
                         PubPos = Position ( T ; "Publication Date:" ) ;
                         EndSpan = Position ( T ; "</span>" ; PubPos ; 2 )
                      ];
                      RightWords ( Left ( T ; EndSpan ) ; 1 )
                     )

• 2. Re: How to parse the date
            PeterMontague

I adapted your script like this:

Let ( [ T = this::Child Source Code ;   
                           PubPos = Position ( T ; "Publication Date:"; 1; 1 ) ;
                           EndSpan = Position ( T ; "</span>" ; PubPos ; 2 )
                        ];
                        RightWords ( Left ( T ; EndSpan ) ; 1 )
                       )

This works fine half of the time. But sometimes it returns me the result "span".
                 Have I done something wrong?
            • 3. Re: How to parse the date
              philmodjunk

Good catch on the typo.

I suggest carefully examining the text in Child Source Code. PubPos might evaluate as 0 if the exact text used does not appear in it. EndSpan can return the wrong value if the </span> text immediately after the year is not always the second time it appears to the right of PubPos.

• 4. Re: How to parse the date
                PeterMontague

I've found a pattern. In the source codes that I've studied date always appears after the second occurence of '<li><b>'

Here is a typical line containing it: 

<li><b>Publisher:</b> Jossey Bass; 1st edition (25 Oct 1993)</li>

Does anyone have a way to parse this out?

• 5. Re: How to parse the date
                  philmodjunk

That's quite different from your original example:

v class="buying"><span class="byLinePipe">Publication Date: </span><span style="font-weight: bold;">5 Jan 2009</span> </div

vs.

Note that neither "publication date:" nor </span> appears in this text. You have several threads open dealing with different parsing challenges, are you sure you've responded to the correct thread?

• 6. Re: How to parse the date
                    PeterMontague

Hi Phil. Yes I can see that the date was in a different place earlier. But I think the date will be more consistent if I take it from here instead. I have a number of threads going looking to parse different parts of the code. I hope it's not confusing!

• 7. Re: How to parse the date
                      philmodjunk

The question I have:

Is the format of this text:

consistent in every case? Is there always the text Publisher: </b> followed be a date to the right of it in parenthesis. You'll note that I am often including "weasel words" after my suggested posts where I document the assumptions on your text formats that I used in designing the calculation.

Let ( [ T = this::Child Source Code ;   
                                     PubPos = Position ( T ; "Publisher:"; 1; 1 ) ;
                                     rParenPos = Position ( T ; ")" ; PubPos ; 1 )   //find the first ) to the right of "Publisher:"
                                  ];
                                  RightWords ( Left ( T ; rParenPos - 1 ) ; 1 )
                                 )
                           Note that a slight modification of this would extract the complete publication date into a date field and then Year ( yourdatefield ) could be used whenever you need the year of publication.