3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 6:02 AM by philmodjunk

How to populate a record from a drop down list

jmarshall

Title

How to populate a record from a drop down list

I am still using the FileMaker trial and am stumped.

I have table and a form with fields from that table.  In one 'form field' there is a drop down list (Value List) from a specific field. 

User clicks down arrow, opening the list, then clicks on the specific field data.

NOW how do I get the full record to populate into that form??

Since I am new, I'm not exactly sure what Filemaker semantics to use to describe what I want, but it doesn't appear to be in the trial lessons and nothing shows up in internet searchs (which is probably due to not knowing the exact words to search for)..

• 1. Re: How to populate a record from a drop down list
          philmodjunk

There is more than one method to get what you need here. Much depends on the design of your database. See this thread to learn more: Auto Fill

• 2. Re: How to populate a record from a drop down list
            jmarshall

I don't think that will do what I need done.  There is only one table at this point, and yes I can create a new table with just an _ID field and the Value field, but then when I create a new record in the old file, how does that 'Value' data populate into a new record with just the two fields?

• 3. Re: How to populate a record from a drop down list
              philmodjunk

If you are selecting a value in a drop down and want other fields in the record to automatically populate with information, from where will that other information come from?

If you have only one table, the only possible source for that data is the table in which you are creating a record.

The methods in that link can be set up to work with just one table by relating the table to itself in what is called a "self join". You go to Manage | Database | Relationships, click the box representing your table to select it and then click the duplicate button (two green plus signs) to make a new "occurrence" of your table. This does not duplicate your table, it just creates a new reference to the table that you already have. Now you can link the two occurrences to each other just as though you have two separate tables of data as described in the tutorial link I've provided.