3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 8:23 AM by philmodjunk

how to post payment in Invoice starter template?

RandWhipple

Title

how to post payment in Invoice starter template?

I am trying out FP12 and used the Invoice starter template. I can see how to create an invoice but not apply a payment. I can change the status of the invoice to 'paid' but how the heck do i add a payment?

thank you

• 1. Re: how to post payment in Invoice starter template?
          philmodjunk

I don't think that logging payments are a feature that was built into the invoices starter solution.

• 2. Re: how to post payment in Invoice starter template?
            RandWhipple

Oh, that's too bad. It's not terribly helpful to have a database of invoices but no way to tell who still owes what.

Thank you for your quick reply.

• 3. Re: how to post payment in Invoice starter template?
              philmodjunk

Well that would depend on your business model. Many businesses insist on payment in full at the time of sale.

Starter solutions are primarily intentended to be just that--a starting point that you can further adapt to your needs and also serve as examples of what is possible and a good place to go to learn how you might set up various aspects of your own solutions.

Tracking payments when payment is not made in full at the time of sale can actually be pretty complicated as a payment might pay off part of what is owed on an invoice or what is owed on several invoices. This usually requires setting up at least two additional tables--a payment table that logs each payment received and a "join" table where related records log how that payment is linked to the various invoices in what portions of that payment are assigned to each...