1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 30, 2013 7:04 AM by philmodjunk

How to prevent a duplicate layout from showing the same record as the original?

AliSheikh

Title

How to prevent a duplicate layout from showing the same record as the original?

Hello,

I made two layouts based on a table called " Parent ". They both show different info of the parent record. When i browse through records in the original layout it shows the same record in the duplicate layout as well and vice versa. How can i make it so that i can view two different records on both layouts which are based on the same table?

• 1. Re: How to prevent a duplicate layout from showing the same record as the original?
          philmodjunk

Well layouts aren't directly based on a table. They are based on a table occurrence--one of the boxes in Manage | Database | relationships, which in turn refers to a specific table in your database system. The current record, found set, sort order that you see is specific to a particular table occurrence in a particular window and thus, you have two options:

1) Open a new window. The found sets of different layouts in your new window will be independent of the found sets in your original window.

2) Duplicate a table occurrence and set up your second layout (and its fields) to refer to this new table occurrence. The found set of this new table occurrence will be independent of the found set of layouts based on the first table occurrence. You can duplicate a table occurrence by selecting it in Manage |Database | relationships and clicking the duplicate (2 green plus signs) button. This does not duplicate the table. It creates a new method for referring to the same data source table as that specified in the original table occurrence.

For more on table occurrences, see: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?