4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 10:16 AM by FentonJones

How to prevent filemaker from resizing and repsoitioning windows

khil

Title

How to prevent filemaker from resizing and repsoitioning windows

I am running FileMaker 12.0v5 on a Mac OS X 10.8.5.

Currently FileMaker is driving me crazy since it resizes and repositions windows.  Case in point is a file that I import receipts into.  I have a 21 inch monitor and I have the window quite large but not entirely the full screen that I have positioned on the top left corner of the screen.  I have created an outline box in an attempt to prevent FileMaker form auto resizing.  This box is about 12 inches by 18 inches and I have the locks on all four sides clicked.  When I open the file there are no scripts that are triggered, however FileMaker changes the window into a square on the lower right side of the screen that is about have the size of the window. 

I have seen this behavior in other files but this one really irritates.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to prevent FileMaker from doing this?

• 1. Re: How to prevent filemaker from resizing and repsoitioning windows
          SteveMartino

When you say you positioned it, do you mean you manually resized and dragged the window to the upper left corner?

You have resizing options in Layout mode in the inspector.  Make sure the height & width of the layout is no bigger then the size you want it to be on that computer monitor.  You can also script window sizes and where they appear from the top and left sizes.

• 2. Re: How to prevent filemaker from resizing and repsoitioning windows
            khil

Yes, to your first question. 

I do not follow you on the inspector comment.  If you mean the position tab in the inspector side menu, how would I do that.  if no field is selected it does not allow entries.  The outline that I drew around the entire screen has all of the locks clicked but that does not make a difference.  Is there something that I am overlooking?

• 3. Re: How to prevent filemaker from resizing and repsoitioning windows
              SteveMartino

Its hard (for me) to give you a proper answer without seeing your database.  When you drew a line, did you group everything inside it together?

Can you post a blank copy of your database or just that layout?  Then myself and/or others could look at it and try to help.

• 4. Re: How to prevent filemaker from resizing and repsoitioning windows
                FentonJones

In FM 12 the Body itself determines the layout size (viewed).  There is a Window (group) script step, "Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ], which will pull/or/push the window to fix the above.

On FM 12 they added the ability to run Script Triggers for the Layout. So, if you first create a script using the above step, then you can specify it for the layout. Go into Layout Mode, then in the Layout Setting dialog, you'll see the Script Triggers at the far right (of the options near the top). Choose [✓] OnLayoutEnter (for Browse), and choose the above script.

Once you've done the above that layout will resize to fit the Body. It will do this whenever you go to that layout, whether manually or via script. You could use that same script, via the same method, for other layouts also (if you want them to resize to their width/height). It is much the same as clicking the right most button at the top of the Mac screen (green in my case, but I'm still 10.6.8).