4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 11:24 AM by MorkAfur

How to print an entire field in a report?

MorkAfur

Title

How to print an entire field in a report?

I have some text fields which have LOTS of text (10KB+).

Now, this huge amount of text is too much for a viewable report, but when I print this report, I want all the text from each long text field to print. Instead, when printing the layout, I just get what the truncated text as it looks on the layout.

Since there is no way to create a layout with fields large enough for huge amounts of textual data, how exactly do you handle printing more text than shows up in a layout?

Look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks,

-m

• 1. Re: How to print an entire field in a report?
          philmodjunk

What keeps you from making the field large enough to show all the data? The maximum possible size of the layout?

This sounds like way too much data to put into a text field and be able to do much with it. I'd be investigating ways to split that data up into multiple records instead of such a large mass of text...

• 2. Re: How to print an entire field in a report?
            MorkAfur

Hi Phil,

Hmmm,  well you can't have a layout field that's 10s of pages long, but you may need to print that data. It may be totally appropriate, as with contracts or other longer material, to be able to print that data, but not display (or be able to realistically) display that entire data on a layout. There must be some workaround for this use case.

Perhaps there's a programmatic way?

Read a field into a variable...

Process that variable to System.Out a bit at a time? ...

---------------

I can't believe I'd have to manually select all the field's contents and then (again, manually, using the mouse) copy to a separate editor that's capable of printing it at once.

Perhaps this is a limitation of FMP, however: You print only what's on the layout and no more.

?

Thanks,

-m

• 3. Re: How to print an entire field in a report?
              schamblee

It is realistic to display long contracts and other material.   Most all software packages have some sort of report designer that works in the same manner as Filemaker.   Like PhilModJunk stated above, I believe you need to better organize your data.

• 4. Re: How to print an entire field in a report?
                MorkAfur

This is not a data organization issue.

In any case, I think I have my answer. :)

Thanks,

-m