2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 7:38 AM by davidanders

How to Reference All Records of a Table from another Table

sALIMSaid

Title

How to Reference All Records of a Table from another Table

i have a proforma Table containing all information of my proforma data, I've created an invoices table and i want it to be populated dynamically with data from the Proforma table, OR else I want to be able to access all records of the Proforma Table without providing a match field for every individual Record in the proforma table.

• 1. Re: How to Reference All Records of a Table from another Table
          philmodjunk

"populated dynamically" is a bit vague. What do you mean exactly? To me it reads like you want to use a value list to select data from that table. Or you can use a portal as a value selection tool and there are many variations of that option designed to make searching out the specific record a quick, error resistant process.

To get a portal to list all records from a table, set up a cartesian join relationship using the X operator. With that operator, you can select any field in one table to match to any field in the other table. The values in the field will not control what values match.

• 2. Re: How to Reference All Records of a Table from another Table
            davidanders

You may find this PDF helpful.

http://www.foundationdbs.com/downloads.html

White Paper for FMP Novices (version 2.01; released 10/17/2011)

WhitePaperForFMPNovices.pdf    1.3MB (If on Windows: right-click, select "Save Target As...": Adobe PDF format)

A compilation of important advice on how to design a database, and what mistakes not to make. This document contains much-needed advice not available elsewhere that the FileMaker Pro newcomer must have to do a proper job. Currently covering over 100 important topics in as many pages, this is a must-have for any FileMaker novice or intermediate.