5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 12:29 PM by tman1425

How to remove blank line from mailing label?

tman1425

Title

How to remove blank line from mailing label?

I'm very new to filemaker pro and love it so far.  I stated using the contact management layout to create mailing labels for my clients.  When I use the Avery 5160 layout, I simply create a textbox with the following:

<<Name_Full>>

<<Spouse>>

<<Street1>>

<<City1>>, <<State_Province1>>  <<Postal_Code1>>

This works perfectly, except for the people who do not have a spouse.  Is there any way to have it automatically remove the <<spouse>> line and shift everything else up when the <<spouse>> field is left blank?

Thanks in advance.  Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to remove blank line from mailing label?
          philmodjunk

If you click this text while in layout mode, do you see just one set of 4 selection boxes on the corners?

Option 1:

Separate these merge fields into three blocks of text, put <<Name_Full>> in block 1, <<Spouse>> in block 2 and the rest of these merge fields in Block 3. Set blocks 2 and 3 to "slide up", "resize enclosing part" and you should see the empty space from an empyt Spouse field disappear on you. (To split a block of text up like this, double click it while in Layout mode, select the text you want to make a separate block, cut the text to the clip board, click somehwere else on the layout and paste the cut text back to the layout--drag it or use the arrow keys to position where you need it.

Option 2:

Define a new calculation field in your table, cName_FullSpouse as List ( Name_Full ; Spouse )

Then replace the Name_Full and Spouse fields with teh cName_FullSpouse field on this layout.

• 2. Re: How to remove blank line from mailing label?
            LaRetta_1

Hi Tyler,

If all of the merge fields are within the same text box then they should naturally remove any blank merge lines.

Did you insert first merge, immediately hit enter and insert second merge and so forth? 

• 3. Re: How to remove blank line from mailing label?
              tman1425

Perfect!!!  Thank you both so much for the help!!!  I do have another question if you can help.

I want to add a <<designation>> field after the name and I also need a "," to automatically show up after the name (before the designation).  As an example, First Last, M.D.

The problem I am having is that if I put a "," after <<Full_Name>> it shows up for everyone even if they don't have a designation.  Is there any way to only add a "," after <<Name_Full>> if there is date in the <<designation>> field.

• 4. Re: How to remove blank line from mailing label?
                LaRetta_1

In that case, you WILL need a calculation ( result is text ):

List (
                Full_Name & Case ( not IsEmpty ( Designation ) ; ", " & Designation ) ;
                Spouse
                ) ;
                City & ", " & State & "  " & Zip

• 5. Re: How to remove blank line from mailing label?
                  tman1425

Thank you again!  Works perfectly.  It's absolutely amazing what can be done with this program!