12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 12:21 PM by FBrew

How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?

FBrew

Title

How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?

Background: Filemaker Pro Adv. 10, both server and client on both Mac 10.5.8 server and client, respectively.

I'm making reports and the records need to be numbered under each sub summary. The numbering needs to restart in the next sub summary.

For example:

Subsummary is Buses:

Bus A

1. Student A

2. Student B

Bus B

1. Student C

2. Student D

I've tried these solutions:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4930&p_created=1115172896&p_sid=fkpxEgVj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=5034&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTQsMTQmcF9wcm9kcz04NjQmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PTEuODY0JnBfY3Y9JnBfcHNfYW5zX3VwZGF0ZWQ9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cmVzdGFydCBudW1iZXJpbmc*&p_li=&p_topview=1 (looks too old) 

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5034&p_created=1115172908&p_sid=y_erygVj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTQsMTQmcF9wcm9kcz04NjQmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PTEuODY0JnBfY3Y9JnBfcHNfYW5zX3VwZGF0ZWQ9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cmVzdGFydCBudW1iZXJpbmc*&p_li=&p_topview=1

(Can't use because sub summaries are not fixed.)

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?fid/28/tid/212096/  (I kept getting the same result as below, where they're all numbered "1") 

http://my.advisor.com/doc/17897  (I keep getting the following where they're all numbered "1":  ) 

Bus A

1. Student A

1. Student B

Bus B

1. Student C

1. Student D

I've tried "@@", but the numbers just keep increasing, like below:

Bus A

1. Student A

2. Student B

Bus B

3. Student C

4. Student D

Is there a way to get the text "@@" to restart numbering in each sub summary? That would be the easiest thing.

I'm still very new at Filemaker development, so any step-by-step would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
          philmodjunk

Define a "count of" summary field and specify any nonblank field such as your name field as the field that's counted. Select the running count option and specify that the count restart with each group and identify your "bus" field as the group field.

Now place this field in your layout and you should see the count start at one and restart with each bus.

• 2. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
            FBrew

Thanks PhilModJunk.

Sadly, that's not working for me.

I forgot to mention that I have several Filemaker .fp7 files. The bus information is located in the bus.fp7 file, while the students are in the student.fp7 file. I created a "count of" summary field in the students.fp7 file, specifying the studentID (non-blank field) as the field that's counted. And the bus name field as the group field.

The report is done in the bus.fp7 file.

I'm still getting getting each record numbered as one:

For example, it's still coming out as:

Bus A

1 Student A

1 Student B

Bus B

1 Student C

1 Student D

This is really holding me back on finishing these reports. :( 

• 3. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
              philmodjunk

Your bus file must have one record for each rider? (I would have guessed one record for each bus if you hadn't posted otherwise).

Put your summary field in your bus file instead of the student file and it should work for you.

• 4. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                FBrew

You're right. The bus file only has one record for each bus.

The student file has a bus name field. That field in the student file is matched with the bus name field in the bus file.

When I create a summary field in the bus file, then select Count Of and the bus name field (it's non-blank, but the same data) under the "Available Fields", and finally the bus field in the student file under "When sorted by", the result is still the same: each record has "1".

And for "Summarize repetition" below, I've also tried both "All together"  and "Individually", but I still got the same result: 1's.

The admins are handwriting in the numbers themselves. :(.

• 5. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                  philmodjunk

How do you get this report if there is only one bus record for every bus and you are basing your report on the bus file (table)?

Bus A

1 Student A

1 Student B

Bus B

1 Student C

1 Student D

I assumed that each "student" row was a separate record with the fields located in the body and the "bus" row a sub-summary when sorted by bus that either displayed data from the same table or a related "bus" table.

Apparently, this is not the case?

• 6. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                    FBrew

Your assumption is correct and it matches my understanding. I think that is the case.

But it seems that Filemaker does not want to agree with us. :(

PhilModJunk wrote:

How do you get this report if there is only one bus record for every bus and you are basing your report on the bus file (table)?

There are only 5 physical buses. So there are only 5 records in the bus file.

There are 300+ physical students. So there are 300+ records in the students file. You are right, each row is a "student" row. Those student rows are in the body. The sub-summary is sorted by bus name and is displaying data from the bus table in the bus file.

That is the case, but the summary field keeps displaying "1" for each student row. I just cannot understand why it keeps getting a 1 for each row in the first place.

P.S. A plea to Filemaker if they're viewing this, please allow "@@" to restarting number in sub-summaries. 

• 7. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                      philmodjunk

OK, we need to check some details to be absolutely sure we are both working with the same database/layout design here...

Enter layout mode and select layout setup...

Check the "Show Records From" box.

I predict that you'll see a reference to your students table (file) here.

If so, that means your layout is based on the Students table, not the bus table.

Go to your students table (file) and define the summary field as I originally described in this table.

Now add that field to the body of your layout and you're done.

• 8. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                        FBrew

It works! Wow!

PhilModJunk wrote: 
                        I predict that you'll see a reference to your students table (file) here.

You are truly from the Filemaker gods. You get the "You are awesome" prize.

The students file was actually a different students file. There is a students.fp7 for *ALL* students, and then there's another students.fp7 for the current year students...

This is a very complex app that I inherited and am having to make modifications to.

Thank you very, very much for putting in the time to reply and solve this problem!

FBrew

P.S. To Filemaker: I'd still prefer if Filemaker would make the "@@" or have another combination of symbols that would restart numbering, so that I don't have to add fields, because it seems that I'd have to add another Count Of summary fields for every sub summary report that needs numbering to be restarted. I have ~50 more reports to make and they'll all be based on different fields to be sub-summarized. That's ~50 more fields to create. It'd would be great if Filemaker added another combination of symbols, say a "@@@" or "%%" etc, that does numbering restarts and leave the "@@" to just number.
                        • 9. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                          philmodjunk

"it seems that I'd have to add another Count Of summary fields for every sub summary report that needs numbering to be restarted."

If your report is based on the same students table, the same summary field should serve in each case.

• 10. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                            FBrew

That's good to know. I thought I had to add more fields, because it had "When sorted by" and I had to pick the field name. I will be sorting by other fields, so I thought I had to add a summary field for each of those fields. I'll test it out next time with the other reports.

Thank you very, very much again. 

• 11. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                              philmodjunk
                                 oops, forgot that detail. With a different "grouping field" you'll need an additional field. :smileysad:
                              • 12. Re: How to renumber @@ in sub summaries?
                                FBrew

Yeah, figured that's the case.

So Filemaker, if you've gotten this far, please add a numbering restart symbol!