2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 6:01 AM by DavidGunter

How to retain older invoice amounts when re-pricing products?

DavidGunter

Title

How to retain older invoice amounts when re-pricing products?

My DB has tables called 'customers' and is related  to a second table 'invoices'. Each customer is one record as is each invoice. 

Pricing for my product is entered in a  field on the 'customers' table and calculated onto individual invoice records.

But when I updated prices, all older invoice pricing updates as well, upsetting all of last years figures. How to retain the older invoice amounts when re-pricing products? Are their option settings that will keep last year's invoice records or do I need to start a new DB for 2014?

Any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to retain older invoice amounts when re-pricing products?
          philmodjunk

Typical invoicing systems are set up like this (but your names may differ):

Invoices----<LineItems(also called InvoiceData)>-----Products|Services

And the unit price is typically specified in Products|Services.

If so, then you should use either of the following two auto-enter field options to copy over the unit price from Products|Services into a number field in LineItems each time you select a Product|ServiceID in the portal to LineItems on your Invoices layout:

Looked up Value

Calculation

Either method can copy over the value. And it will not automatically copy over a new value if you edit the matching Products|Services record to change the unit price for that item. Thus, the computed invoice totals for pre-existing invoices will not change due to a subsequent price change.

You can open the Invoices starter solutions for FileMaker 11, 12 or 13 to see a working example of this method.

• 2. Re: How to retain older invoice amounts when re-pricing products?
            DavidGunter

Thanks  PhilModJunk

Your advice as usual has proven invaluable

Regards

DG