2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 9:48 AM by philmodjunk

How to save ALL record content to a file?

pnoe

Title

How to save ALL record content to a file?

Hello,

I am a Physician Assisant and ex-Software Engineer and new to FileMaker Pro.  I'm attempting to create a mobile Electronic Medical Record application using FileMaker Pro, GoZync and cloud FileMaker Server.  

Since the facilities that my company rounds at are still on paper, I want to create a hard copy of the patient's Progress Notes to go into the paper patient chart (three ring binder).  It'd be nice to just Save Records as PDF but the field content can be variable and can get 'cut off'.  It seems more like a screen shot than saving entire content to a PDF.  What would be the best way to creat a file with ALL the record content?  I need a file for my current working solution because I then attach it to an email for efaxing to the facilities fax machine (essentially using it as a printer).

Can anyone give me some pointers?  Some direction to go or functionality to look at to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Patti

• 1. Re: How to save ALL record content to a file?
          MarcMcCall

If you want to basically do a print screen, you can make a script, or use File|Print|Current Record to do a print screen, and If you have a PDF printer you can use that as the printer to print it to a PDF document.  You just need to check your layout to make sure all of its content are within the Portrait or landscape guides to make sure it doesn't run off of your page when printed.  If you need to check this go to Print Setup and select Portrait or landscape, then when you go to edit layout the guides will be set up for the one you slected under the print settings.

• 2. Re: How to save ALL record content to a file?
            philmodjunk

If data is being cut off when you print or save as PDF, set up a layout for printing/saving as PDF where you make your fields oversized, but set them to slide up and resize the enclosing part. It's not a perfect method, but with care, it should be an approach that can work for you.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
            3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
            5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
            7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
            9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
            11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
            13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.