1 Reply Latest reply on May 22, 2015 7:15 AM by philmodjunk

How to search in no particular order?

starstuff

Title

How to search in no particular order?

Hi All!

i'm studying how to implement a search feature for selecting customers, products, and suppliers and add it to the invoice. in my search, i found Enhanced Value Selection http://www.4shared.com/file/plr_jbkk/EnhancedValueSelection.html by philmodjunk, the search is working if you search to the right, if you search back( to the left) it will not show up. i like the search to be able find all matching text in no particular order

e.g products

Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnut

Dunkin Donut Doughut

Homemade Orig Doughnut

Dunkin Donut Doughnut Box

Homemade Orig Doughnut Box

search - starts here

1. doughnut

result :

All will be displayed

2. doughnut box - this is already possible

result :

3. doughnut box dunkin

result :

Dunkin Donut Doughnut

4. doughnut donut

result :

Dunkin Donut Doughnut

5. doughnut home

result :

Homemade Orig Doughnut

6. doughnut kreme

result:

7. glaze kreme orig

result:

8. nut em ori

Homemade Orig Doughnut

i like the search to be like the example above, you can search anywhere you like,

say a customer orders a doughnut,  you can type "doug" - it will show all the doughnuts

but would like to have something original, you don't need to delete doug, instead just type orig = search term "doug orig" - it will show

Homemade Orig Doughnut

then the customer wants krispy kreme doughnut = just add kris or krem or kris kre = search term "doug orig kris" or "doug orig krem" or "doug orig kris kre"

all will show Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Doughnut

would it be possible in filemaker? and how to do it? i like to implement this in all the search, i think its faster to search for something using this.

Thank you all!

• 1. Re: How to search in no particular order?
          philmodjunk

It may be faster for the user, but setting it up will be complex and may be slow for large numbers of records. What you describe might actually be easier with a scripted find.

To make this work from a filtered search portal for any number of search terms would require something along the lines of a recursive custom function (requires FileMaker Advanced to create/install in your solution) or a complex portal filter expression for a limited number of such search terms.

The limited example:

Patterncount ( PortalTable::TextField ; LeftWords ( YourTable::GlobalSearchField ; 1 ) ) Or
          Patterncount ( PortalTable::TextField ; MiddleWords ( YourTable::GlobalSearchField ; 2 ; 1 ) ) Or ...