7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 10:34 AM by philmodjunk

How to see what was modified.

enyko

Title

How to see what was modified.

This is a stretch, and as dynamic FMP is, I'd be surprised if there is a way to do this but...

Is there a way to see what fields were most recently modified?

Here's why. We use Dropbox to keep our FMP document synced up between a few Macs. Once in a while (ok, quite often) we have conflicted copies because one two people have made changes to the same database at the same time. So the process is to always open up both copies, sort by modified and compare data. Make the updates to the most updated file and then delete the old file. Kind of tedious, I know.

When I open up both files, sorted by modified, is there a way to see what fields were most recently modified? That way I know what fields to compare.

Does that make sense?

• 1. Re: How to see what was modified.
          philmodjunk

Wouldn't it be simpler to host the database with all users accessing it as clients? Then filemaker's record locking will keep two users from simultaneously editing the same record and this issue disappears.

It's not impossible to do what you want, but it would take a lot of work with multiple audit fields and scripting for every field where you'd want to do this.

• 2. Re: How to see what was modified.
            enyko

I'd love to do something like that but as I recall that either requires FMPServer or a dedicated IP Address. Is that correct?

Having the ability for multiple users to edit the file simultaneously (with record locking) would be such a great benefit to us.

• 3. Re: How to see what was modified.
              philmodjunk

A static IP address is certainly your less expensive option. Are you publishing to the web or just  connecting filemaker clients?

Merging different versions of a database can truly be a nightmare as you've found out.

• 4. Re: How to see what was modified.
                enyko

Sorry for the naiveness but I'm not sure if I am publishing to the web or connecting clients. I think we're "Network Sharing" within the office LAN. So our main computer will have the FMP file open, then each other computer will open the database via "Remote". That way we can work on the files together with no conflicts. The issue occurs when I leave the office for a sales meeting and update the file while someone else updates it at the office. When the files sync back together via DropBox, it will notify me there is a conflict in the nightmare ensues.

• 5. Re: How to see what was modified.
                  philmodjunk

You are connecting clients (each computer with filemaker pro installed that uses Open remote to connect is a "client".) Publishing to the web means you can use a web browser to access the database. If you can set things up to connect remotely when you leave the office--there are several options here, Instant Web Publishing is one option but not the only one--you can put an end to this "nightmare".

• 6. Re: How to see what was modified.
                    enyko

Would it be possible for you to either describe my options in detail and how to go about setting them up? That may be a lot to ask I understand. If so, can you possibly direct me to posts that go over this?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: How to see what was modified.
                      philmodjunk

I know there are options, but haven't used them myself and thus am not familiar with the steps and limitations. I know , for example, some have tried to use VPN to remotely link to a filemaker DB when away from the office, but don't know how exactly you'd set it up nor how well it worked.