3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 11:09 AM by philmodjunk

How to select/view a specific record in a found set?

billk1radius

Title

How to select/view a specific record in a found set?

First - thanks for all the support!

I have a script that creats and sorts a report of a found set of items from a related table and layout.

I would like to land on or view the record I was editing or viewing in the former layout when I

transition to the new report layout.  The new layout is a list of companies (using List view).  Is there

any way to script going to a particular record without doing a find that eliminates the other current

found set?

• 1. Re: How to select/view a specific record in a found set?
          mrvodka
             Use a new window. It would perserve your found set. As for the rest of your post, I dont quite follow it.
          • 2. Re: How to select/view a specific record in a found set?
            billk1radius

Actually what I have determined is that the "Find" causes the current record to default to the first

record (lowest record id) in the found set.

What I am doing is updating a field in a set of records.  The most frequent next step is to generate

my list report that will include all records with similar updates to that same field (it is a todo field and

other records with information in their todo field are the set of companies that I have to work on).

When I generate the list report that includes the "find" I end up with a nice list but I am looking at

a different record which is disconcerting.  I can use the Scroll Window step to end up looking at the

top of the list but the list is sorted by When the ToDo is due and not when the records were modified

(which I suppose is another way can do this). 

I just wondered if there is a way say if I set a variable to the Account Field in the record I initially update

can I "land" on that record in the found set instead of the default first record?

Thanks for your indulgence!

Bill

• 3. Re: How to select/view a specific record in a found set?
              philmodjunk

You can store an ID value of your current record in a variable.

Now your script can perform it's find.

Then you can either

Loop through the found set and stop on the record matching the value in your variable, or there's a way to use Go To Related Record to jump to a specfic record in your found set if you are sure your original record will always be part of the found set created by your script.

For more on Go To Related Record see this thread and read the section on how it behaves if you don't select "Show only related records":

The Complete Go To Related Record