7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 3:12 PM by davidanders

How to send email

3yk999

Title

How to send email

I am new to filemaker and just want to know how I can send emails to my 500 customers, message is the same for all of them but I would not like them to view each other email addresses. I mean it should be sent as indivisual email.

I am using filemaker 7 and 8.

Please advice in easy words as I am new

• 1. Re: How to send email
          GaryHale

Sending email is easy. At least on MsWindows.  Just plug the 

SendMail command into a script. It lets you hard-code the

usually information ( subject, body, To: and an attached file) or it will take this information from fields you specific. 

I usually build my email body in a selected field by combining script-defined text and some field values.  Then send the email, loop around and build the next one.

The comand uses your computer-defined default email program to send out the emails.

• 2. Re: How to send email
            3yk999

Thanks Gary,

But I want to send same email to 100 customers and I wish that they could not see each other email address.

When I tried by just testing the email its shows other recipients email addresses as well.

• 3. Re: How to send email
              WalleyM
                 Just put all addresses into the Bcc field and only put your own into the To field. That way all your client email addresses will remain hidden.
              • 4. Re: How to send email
                3yk999
                   thanks a lot but what if I want to use my gmail account instead of outlook express
                • 5. Re: How to send email
                  curtis_1

send email from fmp using my gmail account??? need help

gmail works and

filemaker works

how do I make gmail account work from fmp when I click send email from fmp

have yet to solve issue

settings to establish gmail as default take me to outlook using explorer 7

I can't be the only one using gmail from fmp and not getting correct incoming and outgoing server.

• 6. Re: How to send email
                    TSGal

curtis:

Thank you for your post.

When you use the Send Mail script step, it defaults to the local Email application.  In your instance, it is selecting Microsoft Outlook.  Instead, select "SMTP Server" from the pop-up and you can then specify the gmail server.  The SMTP Server was introduced in FileMaker PRo 10, so if you have an earlier version, you won't have this option.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: How to send email
                      davidanders

Sending emails to your customer mail list may be better accomplished by using www.madmimi.com or www.mailchimp.com or www.constantcontent.com

They allow recieptients to remove themselves from the list.

They track who opens the email.

They allow recieptients to forward the email to their friends.

They are relatively inexpensive - $5 to $25 per month.

MailChimp and MadMimi  allow 100 for free (good for testing) 

They allow fairly fancy html email.

They provide storage space for images.

You can view my second madmimi emal here

http://madmimi.com/promotions/5952001051520/raw?fe=1&pact=50021748