2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2013 6:35 PM by PoxinWang

how to set Filemaker pick up internal IP

PoxinWang

Title

how to set Filemaker pick up internal IP

Hi~~

How could I set filemaker to use internal IP instead of external IP?

The open remote only work when I have host and clients PC all connect to internet and the file is publish to web. Then when I turn on Network Sharing, it shows TCP/IP Address: 123.xxx.xx.8; 192.168.1.x on the host PC. I have to type in the 123.xxx.xx.8 on my clients open remote setting to share this file. 

How could I set up so filemaker share in the network without on the internet? I would like it use the internal IP instead of external IP since the external IP is dynamic and the internal IP is fixed by setting the IPv4 in each PC.  

PS. My host and clients PC run win7 and they are connect with a hub( not a router). They all set under the same work group so that they are in the same network and files could be shared. 

I am really appreciate any help I can get since I been trying to solve this for days. I'll have to give up use filemaker if ths problem can't solve because apply a different IP to share the file everyday just not ideal. 

• 1. Re: how to set Filemaker pick up internal IP
          schamblee

It appears that your computers obtains a public ip address from your service provider.  Filemaker dosen't have a way to specifiy the ip address, it is obtained automatically.  Apparently it is setting 123.xxx.  as the Ip address.    You can contact your service provider to obtain a static ip address, or a persistence ip address.   Or you can get a router which assigns local ip addresses to the local network, and the router will be assigned the public ip address.

• 2. Re: how to set Filemaker pick up internal IP
            PoxinWang

So it really need a router for this to work....

But it's just so odd since in filemaker network setting it shows TCP /IP Address: 192.168.x.x when I'm not connect to internet just in my office network. And my clients can see this host PC 192.168.x.x in their open remote dialogue under local hosts tab but can see the file and can't open it. It's strange that filemaker can show this internal IP but can't open file on it. 

And it's also strange that I have to publish to web to be able to open remote on clients with external IP. Without publish to web the clients still get nothing. 

Thanks a lot for helping. I really appreciate it.